PDA

View Full Version : ATF service difficulty

brick8
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Last weekend, while I was changing the differential oil in my 1992 525it I noticed signs of a minor leak around the auto transmission. I do most of my own work but have little experience with autos. How difficult is it to change the filter and pan gaskets on one of these? I have seen numerous threads here (yes, I did the search) on other ATs but not much on the A4S 310R. Is it simply a matter of jacking up the car, opening a drain plug, removing the pan, swapping out the filter, rebolting the pan and refilling? Thanks in advance.

glen-sj
11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Check this link page http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

Althought it written for the E36 but it is the same trans A4S310R. I found it very useful when I did mine. Has all the tech spec. required.

Good luck,
glen-sj

brick8
11-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks. I see that I would need to run the car on jack stands for 45 minutes in order to properly check the level. Don't think I want to do that so I will probably take it to someone to get it done.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-22-2006, 02:38 PM
leave it on the ground and top off the ATF with a pump filling ATF fluid into the filler hole as it warms up.

then reach under and put the plug back in.

brick8
11-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Let me make sure I understand. You drain it, clean the pan, put the pan back on and partially fill it and then lower the car. Then with the motor running top it off?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Let me make sure I understand. You drain it, clean the pan, put the pan back on and partially fill it and then lower the car. Then with the motor running top it off?

fill it as much as possible before you start it and keep checking and pump in ATF as it warms up. watch for when it drips.

Don,t forget to run it through all the gears once it is warm, this will help make sure you get a good fill.

This will be messy, cause you can only tell when you're full, when fluid runs out the hole.

brick8
11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks. Maybe someone should write to the BMW engineering department and tell them about dipsticks.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks. Maybe someone should write to the BMW engineering department and tell them about dipsticks.

the service centers busy

Ross
11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
They do this because this is a French built GM P.O.S. Turbo-hydro Chevette transmission (France's revenge on Germany) with a Mickey Mouse planetary gearset for overdrive grafted on the front where the dipstick used to be.
Somebody at ZF must have pissed them off good in Dinglewhatever.