PDA

View Full Version : HELP! starting probs with 520i

millymop
11-22-2006, 10:32 AM
My old 520i has been very reliable with no probs until about a week ago when it started to sound a little lumpy.Then not unlike myself it really dont want to start in the mornings but after a little struggle and crossing my fingers we eventually manage to get to work. now it just wont start at all. A friend advised that a little split in the air intake hose just after the air filter and b4 int manifold could contribute to this so i fixed it and put in new plugs and air filter fully recharged the battery after it gave up still no joy! any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

E34-520iSE
11-22-2006, 12:57 PM
My old 520i has been very reliable with no probs until about a week ago when it started to sound a little lumpy.Then not unlike myself it really dont want to start in the mornings but after a little struggle and crossing my fingers we eventually manage to get to work. now it just wont start at all. A friend advised that a little split in the air intake hose just after the air filter and b4 int manifold could contribute to this so i fixed it and put in new plugs and air filter fully recharged the battery after it gave up still no joy! any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
A few things will cause bad start-ups. Is the rocker cover gasket OK? Have you checked all the intake hoses for splits etc? What were the plugs like when you pulled them out? Normal or dirty? Are you able to test the crank position sensor (beside the front crank pulley)? Did you have any other problems with the engine when it last ran? Things like an unstable idle and/or rattly valve gear? Don't worry my car is doing a similar thing at the minute, as my rocker cover gasket has blown - cold starts are fun, I have had to bump start it a couple of times this week!!

HTH,

Shaun