PDA

View Full Version : Heated Seat Will Not Heat

gjmane36
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I have a 95 540ia. The Driver's seat back will heat up, but not the bottom or the seat part. I have searched this site, the libary (Mitchel) and googled for a solution with no success. Does anyone have a clue on what might be wrong, short of the seat is burnt out or what I should do to fix this problem?

Elekta
11-21-2006, 09:08 PM
element is broken. someone's fat ass has been ploppin in a little too hard. :p you can buy a plug and play replacement from a used Volvo parts bin for about $65, but then you have to install it, which involves removing the seat, then the back from the bottom, then the leather cover.

I found a heated seat for sale on the bay once and got the seller to pull the element for me, and sold it to me for $30 bucks. I then got my drivers seat redyed and conditioned at my boat upholstery shop, and put the new element in all for about $90. I reinstalled the seat, plugged it back in, good as new.

Now I need to do the passenger seat, but if I do, my lab will have to ride in the back...or get a cover for him.

Jehu
11-21-2006, 09:12 PM
wait a a second, the BACK of the seat is supposed to heat up too? Oh man...

Elekta
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
wait a a second, the BACK of the seat is supposed to heat up too? Oh man...

They are exactly the same element. Looks like a fake-asbestos heating pad. Kinda white canvas sack material with the element sewn into it. Check under your seat first, the back element may be unplugged.