PDA

View Full Version : More Proof I'm a Dumb arse

zman-95-540i
11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Finally got to do my rear suspension. Driver's side was a bitch to get off but finally got it off. GOt my new shocks and springs ready to go in. Put new shock mounts on and realized no gasket. For some reason I assumed they would come with new gaskets. Oh well, no big deal. Call the three dealers within 30 miles and none of them stock it. With the holiday I can't get it until Monday or Tuesday. I am now one pissed off dude.

So, should I just wait or install with the old shock mounts???

Robin-535im
11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Finally got to do my rear suspension. Driver's side was a bitch to get off but finally got it off. Got my new shocks and springs ready to go in. Put new shock mounts on and realized no gasket. For some reason I assumed they would come with new gaskets. Oh well, no big deal. Call the three dealers within 30 miles and none of them stock it. With the holiday I can't get it until Monday or Tuesday. I am now one pissed off dude.

So, should I just wait or install with the old shock mounts???
That little paper gasket with the italian writing on it?

I reused mine on one side... and... left it off the other side because it was torn too bad. You could probably cut one out of paper, I don't think it does anything except isolate the two surfaces from each other.

zman-95-540i
11-21-2006, 07:57 PM
That's a good idea. I couldn't even get the old ones off without tearing them up. They seemed thicker then paper. I wonder if they do any vibration dampening or anything...

632 Regal
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
sound deadening is the purpose, you can cut them out of anything if your really anal but to use silicone or nothing isn't too far fetched.

That's a good idea. I couldn't even get the old ones off without tearing them up. They seemed thicker then paper. I wonder if they do any vibration dampening or anything...

zman-95-540i
11-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I just cut some out of a manilla folder. Man, install is so much easier than removal.

Fronts are later this weekend. Thanks Robin & Jeff for the info.

632 Regal
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
fronts are much more fun, just make sure you have some buddies and enough ale on hand...lol