PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Calabasas, CA willing to look at a car for me???

Dave M
11-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Sorry to start another thread on this, but I'm hoping the title will draw those nearby.

The relisted e28 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A12&viewitem=&item=190053971130) is at 26032 Eden Park. I'll provide the phone # of the seeler if someone is willing to look at it for me(he asked that he be called prior to visiting).

I will compensate you for your time.

Dave M

TC535i
11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Dave, that's like 1/2 hr - 1 hr for me. Only problem is, I won't be able to do it before the holiday, then I'm flying up to Oregon... earliest I'd be able to check it out is first weekend in December. :(

I could make a phone call, I have a buddy not TOO far from there... let me know.

Dave M
11-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Dave, that's like 1/2 hr - 1 hr for me. Only problem is, I won't be able to do it before the holiday, then I'm flying up to Oregon... earliest I'd be able to check it out is first weekend in December. :(

I could make a phone call, I have a buddy not TOO far from there... let me know.

Thanks for the offer, I've pm'ed you.

Dave

califblue
11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Dave, Galye just email me I can check it out for you over the long weekend.
just send me a list of what you want to look long and hard at...I am not afraid to get dirty!

Gayle
11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Dave

I am already planning your road trip home staying at all the best places in the bimmer.info bed and breakfast cheap lodging network.

califblue
11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Dave i have to be in Cambridge ( just outside of Toronto) on the 18th of December, I can drive it if you need to be done

Dave M
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Dave i have to be in Cambridge ( just outside of Toronto) on the 18th of December, I can drive it if you need to be done

Awesome guys (and ladies),

I don't want to be too presumptuous and start planning trips home quite yet ;) And Califblue, you driving to ON might be one way to skin the cat if everything turns out OK. In terms of checking the car out, I don’t have much experience with e28s so I’d be hard pressed to provide a list. My main concerns are:

rust (assuming little, but check rockers, doors, trunk area, underbody)
paint (looks pretty good in the photos)
interior (there weren’t many photos in the listing and the front seats look ragged)
electrical (make sure all windows, sunroof, climate control work)
drivetrain (see below)
front end (typical shimmy crap, loose steering, vibrations etc)

In terms of drivetrain, I’d just want you to drive it and have some fun. Look out the rear view when accelerating hard and check for a smoke trail etc. Let me know if it feels like an M30 (you shoud know  ). If you could, smell the exhaust, look under the hood while its running for bad omens etc. I’m not afraid to do a head gasket, but the thing has to make it back to Canada.

Hey look, I made a list :p . I may think of other stuff before the time comes.

Again, IF its still for sale, AND my balls aren’t on a chopping block by the weekend, I’ll make sure to contact you guys with the go ahead and phone # etc.

Thanks again,

Dave

Gayle
11-21-2006, 04:45 PM
My theory on things like this, it is all about the body. Everything else you can fix yourself. For people who don't want to get their nails dirty like me, it costs $2,000 per year to keep any BMW out of warranty on the road. Whatever is wrong with it, that is just what the first year's $2,000 gets thrown at. And since you can actually work on it yourself, it is only parts--right?

You are going to have the winter tire issue though. We don't do winter tires in Cali.

I think you are making a mistake not to take the wife on a road trip. There are a lot of great things between here and there like Big Sur, Yosemite, Tahoe, yada yada yada. The great thing about Cali is you can snow ski and swim in the ocean in the same day. You are going to be paying gas anyway. Why not get the fun out of those $. It will help wifey bond with the car. She will be saying--"why didn't we do this before?" How long is it going to be before there are little Daves on the way? When are you ever going to be free to do this again? You will remember this forever. My .02.

califblue
11-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Dave, I promise to take more photos than you need. I was plannng on riding a motorycle out there but might have to take my E34 so the seller knows just how anal I am;)

I do agree with Gayle on the road trip but I would go through Nevada/ Las Vegas or Reno then on to Salt Lake City and not up the California coast unless you have lots of time to burn

DigitalRelay
11-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Plus 1 on Gayle's advise.