PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Generator - It really works. Honest!...

Omega
11-21-2006, 04:04 AM
Just found another "deal of a lifetime on eBay" It's not crap. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-SAVER-BETTER-MILEAGE-Hybrid-Van-Wagon-Luxury-Truck_W0QQitemZ180053789529QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4260 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Trust me.

I pity Jeff. He'll have to buy 2 for the 850.......

pingu
11-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Does it also cure cancer and promote world peace?

BillionPa
11-21-2006, 05:10 AM
if you really wanna see how effective something like this is, try the vacuum sealed liquid tornado trick. you need 2 glass bottles (like 2L coke bottles, but glass) fill 1 80% with water, start it swirling around, then flip it upside down. time how long it takes to get all in the other bottle. then WITHOUT swirling it, turn it upside down. it should take about 20% less time. try it yourself.

Omega
11-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Does it also cure cancer and promote world peace?

The Cure-Cancer-and-World-Peace-Vortex-GeneratorTM does just that!!!!!!! However it has a Buy-it-now price of $1.4Billion.

Michael999
11-21-2006, 05:36 AM
if you really wanna see how effective something like this is, try the vacuum sealed liquid tornado trick. you need 2 glass bottles (like 2L coke bottles, but glass) fill 1 80% with water, start it swirling around, then flip it upside down. time how long it takes to get all in the other bottle. then WITHOUT swirling it, turn it upside down. it should take about 20% less time. try it yourself.

I thought cars sucked in air, not water.
But please, forgive me if i am wrong.

Omega
11-21-2006, 05:41 AM

True. They do work with air.

But try doing the experiment with air and let me know what you saw.......... A photo of it would also be nice. :D

Now try again using water. A bit easier to see, ne pas?

Omega
11-21-2006, 05:41 AM

True. They do work with air.

But try doing the experiment with air and let me know what you saw.......... A photo of it would also be nice. :D

Now try again using water. A bit easier to see, ne pas?

Michael999
11-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Ok, with the 2 bottles. your moving air to one, water to the other.
An exchange of substances.

A motor sucks in air, but whilst its doing that it does not shoot water out of the intake.

As for the actual spiraling of air.
Air goes in your filter, then spirals.
After the spiral, the air then goes around some bending corrugated rubber hose, losing most if not all the swirling effect.
After that the air passes over an AFM, forcing the air through a non round hole unless your at WOT.
After this, the air hits the throttle body, once again going through a small restrictive slot.
If there is still any spiraling left after this, we then need to divide the air into 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 pipes in the intake manifold.

BillionPa
11-21-2006, 06:27 AM
the main reason the vortex generators dont do much is because the engine is sucking air thru them. therefore they are sucking against the vanes of the vortex generator. and as the speed of the air increases, the force against it increases exponentially. this causes a considerable dropoff in engine torque as the RPMs increase or the throttle opens, as the intake boot is a fixed size.

vortex generators can theorhetically make small displacement engines, like a geo metro, get more power on the highway.

after going through this metal thing, the air has to go through the MAF, which will see the low pressure center of the vortex as LESS air passing through and cause the car to run lean. using less gas.... so you have to press the pedal down more, exacerbating the vane force against the incoming air charge.

in reality you actually end up using more gas for the engine to do the same amount of work because of the drop in operating efficiency of the engine, on average about 20% MORE GAS!

dont forget what happens if one of those vanes snap off and fly into the cylinder head!

i was gonna say this before, but i was about to go to sleep so i didnt.... god dammit!

BillionPa
11-21-2006, 06:29 AM
oh and in that bottle thing, the bottles are supposed to be sealed at 0 air pressure, total vacuum, so its just water moving, no air, in order to replicate the effect swirling the air charge would have.

Qube
11-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Looks like a goddamn tapeworm!

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/79/5d/637d_1_b.JPG

mikell
11-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Buy one for the exhaust, too - it couldn't hurt, right?

Omega
11-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Buy one for the exhaust, too - it couldn't hurt, right?

Only your wallet, as we have full patented copyright on the use of the Vortex-Generator-Exhaust-Super-Resonator-Shiney-ThingTM and you would be in breach of the licence conditions using the Intake-Vortex-Generator in this manner.

Our lawyers will be in touch.......

BTW: I am not affiliated with this crap. I just thought it was another eBay gem worth sharing! :p

632 Regal
11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
cool! more crap I can staple to the fender.

BTW: I am not affiliated with this crap. I just thought it was another eBay gem worth sharing! :p

Anton CH.
11-21-2006, 11:46 AM
So if I put like two of these in into my car, will I get 2x the power? :D

Omega
11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
So if I put like two of these in into my car, will I get 2x the power?

2x at least!!!!

I think we can find someone with a Doctorate who will swear that the power boost is the square of the number of units, so 2 units = 4x the horsepower!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

People. What are you waiting for. Get those orders in!!!!!

attack eagle
11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
If by "works", you means "adds more intake noise so the average person doesn't press the loud pedal as hard", then it works. Otherwise it's complete crap.

kick7ca
11-21-2006, 03:41 PM
The simple answer is that they are not found as original equipment, if they had any benefit they would be. You think these guys know better than Honda?

Omega
11-22-2006, 03:11 AM
If by "works", you means "adds more intake noise so the average person doesn't press the loud pedal as hard", then it works. Otherwise it's complete crap.

By works, I mean works. If I didn't I wouldn't have written "works". As a side benefit it also adds to your virility and attractiveness. Women will want your babies.

The simple answer is that they are not found as original equipment, if they had any benefit they would be. You think these guys know better than Honda?

Yes... That's right.. Big corporations always produce things for our benefit.... Like water fuelled cars and thermally efficient engines. Come on man, wake up and smell the coffee. It's a global conspiracy.

What interest does Honda have in making a car that lasts forever and gives good gas mileage? They want a car that dissolves in the rain, is biodegradeable and does less that 3mpg so when they release the new model that does 3.1mpg we all rush out and buy one.. Man. That's business...

Come on guys... <paste on a fake TV avengelist smile>
What do you take me for? A charlatan? A charmer of snakes..... ;)

Remember: "I have seen the light, and it costs $9.99 plus $10 shipping" :p

bigtisas
11-22-2006, 03:51 AM
Vortex likes Slick50 gives people hope. How many products are based on that?

BillionPa
11-22-2006, 04:09 AM
more than just products, add religion in there too.

attack eagle
11-22-2006, 06:06 AM
By works, I mean works. If I didn't I wouldn't have written "works". As a side benefit it also adds to your virility and attractiveness. Women will want your babies. :p

I don't need one then, already have two sons, thus the uber pimp daddy wagon. :P

Omega
11-22-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't need one then, already have two sons, thus the uber pimp daddy wagon. :P

Your wagon is the ultra-pimp model. :D I had one of your photos as my wallpaper for months.

If I could have found an e34 wagon that nice I wouldn't have got the e39....

ryan roopnarine
11-22-2006, 07:31 AM
i have 7 of these things installed on my car. one on the airbox, one on the alternator, one on the HVAC intake, two on the main centre vents, and one in each pipe on the muffler. thw two on the muffler help make for more thrust when i have to engage the afterburner. also, to the person who said these things would be OEM if they actually worked......

(charlie murphy voice affectation)
wrong....
WRONG......

bmw's MY 2008 models with caterpillar drive are going to have vortex generators as stock in both intake nacelles

/gonna drive my car down to cuba, past the american sonar nets, and then me and fidel castro are gonna pee on a bald eagle or such.

kick7ca
11-22-2006, 08:55 AM
By works, I mean works. If I didn't I wouldn't have written "works". As a side benefit it also adds to your virility and attractiveness. Women will want your babies.

Yes... That's right.. Big corporations always produce things for our benefit.... Like water fuelled cars and thermally efficient engines. Come on man, wake up and smell the coffee. It's a global conspiracy.

What interest does Honda have in making a car that lasts forever and gives good gas mileage? They want a car that dissolves in the rain, is biodegradeable and does less that 3mpg so when they release the new model that does 3.1mpg we all rush out and buy one.. Man. That's business...

Come on guys... <paste on a fake TV avengelist smile>
What do you take me for? A charlatan? A charmer of snakes..... ;)

Remember: "I have seen the light, and it costs $9.99 plus $10 shipping" :p

Smart ass.

shuriken
11-22-2006, 11:12 AM
RAM air induction is the way to go. Well it is on motorcycles, adds 4-6 bhp at 110mph and above. But then they have carburetors and no AFM etc...

scoop2004
11-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Just a bunch of crap,the theory is sound (swirling air into the engine does improve combustion,u'd get more power for the same amount of fuel used,or same power for less fuel) but the vortexes wud be best generated at the entrance to the inlet ports on the head and the car wud have to be mapped for it perfectly.

Why dont honda etc fit shite like this when they make the car? cos they dont want the "rip your face off" power that this thing "obviously" gives when theyre designing theyre 1.0 HONDA JAZZ. They make cars for economy and down to the nearest penny,they cant spend millions developing a **** thing to stick in the ram pipes.(or making heads with vortex generators in the ports)

Scott C
11-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I can't believe all the people that doubt this technology.

In addition to the one on the intake, I have one on the fuel line which really helps because now the gas is properly swirling prior to being atomized at the injector. This coupled with my inline magnets that properly orient the gasoline molecules has increased my gas mileage immensely. I am thinking of adding magnets to my intake right in front of the hair dryer turbo I just installed. Man those M5's are going to run scared!

PS - I just woke up and realized the above is nonsense ;)

bigtisas
11-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Isn't K&N filter work on the same concept? both try to get more air through the intake?

Another story...
About 10 years ago, a guy discovered that adding certain amount of Coke (regular, not the diet) to the engine can improve hp. The inventor kept his "receipe" secret. I've not heard anything about it since. If you guys know about it, please share.

Omega
11-22-2006, 01:22 PM
PS - I just woke up and realized the above is nonsense ;)

Wash your mouth out...... Nonsense indeed.

I am planning to fit the vortex generator to every pipe in the car, including the brakes. Then add the electric turbo, magnets in the fuel lines, bolt on the exhaust turbonator and solder in the fuel-enrichment "knob" .

Then we'll see who's laughing..... :p