PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Returns!

Traian
11-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Okay not really, he's been around for a while already actually.... but some other kind soul good samaritan awesome amazing crazy bloke scanned and pdf-ed the entire official BMW E34 service literature, which is like 1500 pages of E34 goodness:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84789

I don't have an account on that board, there so someone who does say thanks for me :)

Hope his server doesn't crash...

Alexlind123
11-20-2006, 11:45 PM
You have 420 posts!

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-21-2006, 12:20 AM
go have a bong hit

bigtisas
11-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Nice.

angrypancake
11-21-2006, 12:55 AM
go have a bong hit

check.

BigKriss
11-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Title should read - "Download immediately"

CharlesAFerg
11-21-2006, 01:37 AM
hooooly makrel

genphreak
11-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Was poking around on the M5 board aftger reading about this. Came across this thread (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84914).

A few of the resident Einstein's (or should I say Newtons) are debating the additional weight of an e34 sunroof assembly in their M5s.

The concensus seems to be 40kg.

Now I've messed with roofs. The skin is a few hundred grams heavier due to the lip around the edge. The tracks and motor and fasteners and interior panel would be 5 kg max. The lot might come in at 4kg for all I know.

They are reckoning 10x that.... LOL even if it was a glass roof (add 5kg) it wouldn't be that heavy, and no they wouldn't be able to feel the difference even on a track I suspect.

LOL :)

Dave M
11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
WOW, never seen the likes. Thanks.

swenpro
11-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Awesome post! This is going to be a HUGE resource. And I love the bookmarks already in place... faster than using a printed manual. :)

Russell
11-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Got it this morning. BTW, this is not a horrible job to scan if you have a copier with a loose leaf sheet feeder that copies directly to pdfs. My staff does this with engineering reports as needed.

ryan roopnarine
11-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Got it this morning. BTW, this is not a horrible job to scan if you have a copier with a loose leaf sheet feeder that copies directly to pdfs. My staff does this with engineering reports as needed.

haw haw, how ribald russell. your staff converts microfiche to paper to scanner to a single pdf document, or screendump to images plus converting it to PDF in the right order for 1300 pages? for free? for a bunch of clowns on the internet? for jackasses that are probably going to sell it on ebay soon?
i'm really not trying to be hard on you, i say this in a joking way. I can't imagine the amount of shiat he had to do to get this together. bill r can say for sure if the only way to access this on cd and make a pdf of it is to take individual screen shots and then convert them.

seriously, it boggles my mind as to why someone would do this. the disc alone cost a good deal of money, and he is the only one that has ever done this before. the first time someone gets busted for selling this, they're going to rat him out. buncha sand kicked into his face, no matter what.

Russell
11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Bit confused here?? We scan "Paper" only for our use ONLY. It is an automatic scan and will copy both sides of a document if needed on a RICOH copier/printer. That presumes you have a loose sheet paper document in hand. No free service to anyone outside our organization.

As you state, I cannot imaginee the work involved if you need to go from a cd. Perhaps print each page and then scan each page by hand or use the copier technique I mentioned. Then you still need to bookmark etc.

All in all whoever did it because he loves BMWs.

Bill R.
11-21-2006, 02:11 PM
cd to begin with, which his obviously was. I have both or had both, got rid of my paper manuals. The paper one would be much harder to scan and have it come out as clear as the one that bmw put on the disc. They spent a lot more time scanning and making sure that everything was square and fairly clean. I've seen some factory service manuals that the factory converted to disc that were quite poorly done.

At any rate, the bmw factory service manual saves the pages as htm files. I would imagine with adobe acrobat it would be quite easy to do a batch conversion of all the pages as seen here. Now if he had made a clickable index page and clickable references that would be a lot more work. Here's a screenshot of what the files on the factory manual look like

haw haw, how ribald russell. your staff converts microfiche to paper to scanner to a single pdf document, or screendump to images plus converting it to PDF in the right order for 1300 pages? for free? for a bunch of clowns on the internet? for jackasses that are probably going to sell it on ebay soon?
i'm really not trying to be hard on you, i say this in a joking way. I can't imagine the amount of shiat he had to do to get this together. bill r can say for sure if the only way to access this on cd and make a pdf of it is to take individual screen shots and then convert them.

seriously, it boggles my mind as to why someone would do this. the disc alone cost a good deal of money, and he is the only one that has ever done this before. the first time someone gets busted for selling this, they're going to rat him out. buncha sand kicked into his face, no matter what.

ryan roopnarine
11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
i stand corrected. alls i know is that no library i've ever been to charges you to make printouts from microfiche, for good reason. i'm as impressed with this as i am with the electronic bentley......someone had to remove the pages fromthat bentley to get it to scan that nicely.

ryan roopnarine
11-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Bit confused here?? We scan "Paper" only for our use ONLY. It is an automatic scan and will copy both sides of a document if needed on a RICOH copier/printer. That presumes you have a loose sheet paper document in hand. No free service to anyone outside our organization.

As you state, I cannot imaginee the work involved if you need to go from a cd. Perhaps print each page and then scan each page by hand or use the copier technique I mentioned. Then you still need to bookmark etc.

All in all whoever did it because he loves BMWs.

no, i was just trying to say that, paper manual or not, private individuals do not usually have access to those kind of resources, and, even if they did, it would be in use for a little wile. i used to scan out 500-600 page books (until i became a grownup). a good performance by myself would net a scanned page every 30 seconds--at a decent resolution. if i didn't press down hard enough (&c. &c), i'd have to go back anddo it again. 1300 scanned pages is rough.

rob101
11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Jrobbo just posted a mirror on another board.
all i can say is
ZOMG
ZOMG
ZOMG
ZOMG
what? can this be real?

Zeuk in Oz
11-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you ............

SharkmanBMW
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob

go have a bong hit

check.

gotcha:p