PDA

View Full Version : Break Lights are out

Ralph Gallager
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I have recently adopted my new wifes 93 535i. Love the car and driving it.

It had been sitting in the garage for two years with a fried wiring harness for the center window switch cluster. (Spilled coffee???) The repair shop wanted 2 gand to fix it, so it sat all this time. I replaced about 6 feet of harness and got the windows rolled up finally. Lots of other stuff to fix, headlights out, new front struts, T-stat, AC/heater fan filter change. So far, once I figure out the short cuts to repairs it really is a joy to work on. Great design, and thank you all for the many great tips on how to fix things

I am now having an intermittent problem with BREAK LT CIRCUIT warning on the console. Break lights are out and the cruise control will not disconnect by hitting the breaks. Fuses are OK, lamps are OK. Both break switch contacts check out with an ohm meter. I don't recall getting any input V at the break switch plug.

Anyone have any ideas,

Thanks you

Ralph

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2006, 06:37 PM
is only energized when the car is running. test the plug to the break switch with the car on.

take a good look at the switch, they sometimes get carboned up inside and start failing. you can clean them to buy some time.

Ralph Gallager
11-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Rechecked the V at the switch . No load, 12.6 V on one contact 1, and 12.4V on contact 2. Under load contact 2 will not close, no current. Jumped both contacts at the female connector and breaks system works fine now. Should have eliminated the switch first. Will replace the switch.

Thanks for the help

Ralph