PDA

View Full Version : Can I paint the bumper myself?

rcbrown23
11-19-2006, 05:45 PM
OK... I'm putting back together a 540i after a small fender bender in the front.

I've got a bumper cover, and the grille sitting here in front of me, but they need to be painted. I talked to a friend of mine's father who does paint/body work, and he said he could do it for $200.

It's only about 4 sq ft that need to be painted, and another friend of mine said to just go get the paint, come over to his place, and he's got a pro paint gun and we can do it ourselve's.

The car is a 94 with 189K miles on it, and in OK shape. It's definitely no show car. I've never painted a car before... so I'm not sure if we can get it to look decent. What'd ya think??

Qube
11-19-2006, 06:11 PM
More info. Fill out your profile!

Now, what color is the car?

brosher
11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Check this out:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483605

rcbrown23
11-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Argggg... sorry. It's a 94 540i, and it's red in color. Brosher, that link looks great!

Where/how do I go about getting the right paint, and color? Someone just told me that the BMW red may cost me over a hundred bucks just for the paint. If that's the case, then I'd just rather pay the $200 to have my friend's Dad do it.

Chris'91'525i
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Argggg... sorry. It's a 94 540i, and it's red in color. Brosher, that link looks great!
Where/how do I go about getting the right paint, and color? Someone just told me that the BMW red may cost me over a hundred bucks just for the paint. If that's the case, then I'd just rather pay the $200 to have my friend's Dad do it.

I'm thinking of doing the same with my front bumper and section of grill that's painted.

This place; http://www.paintscratch.com/ ,

seems to have everything needed to do the job. They even have the paint kits for doing just the bumpers.
The base coat paint with the correct paint thinner and clearcoat, adhesion promoter, polishing compound etc......
You can order it in spray cans or for your own sprayer.
Lots of info for help and the price is reasonable too.

John B.
11-19-2006, 08:41 PM
They are charging you $115 per quart & you don't even know what you are buying. For that kind of money you can buy Glasurit paint from a regular supplier. The $200 price you were quoted was quite reasonable as you will need a good epoxy primer to seal the plastic which requires hardner, a pint of paint w/hardner & reducer, sandpaper & buffing supplys.

Qube
11-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Red is horrible to do yourself with a can of paint :( ... as it fades so quickly! If you are a stickler, get it pro done.