PDA

View Full Version : Introduction of my 1995 525i

calgreenbmw
11-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new here and have owned my BMW 525iA for a few weeks now. It has 96k miles on it and is in pretty good shape. Here are some pics:

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/9109/car5ta6.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7407/car6qz3.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2141/car8cm7.jpg

I really enjoy this car so am looking for maintenance and other tips to keep it running since I am trying to save up money for college (and use it during college as well for years to come). What kind of oil should I use? Should I replace the air filter with BMW air filters? How often should I do this? I know these questions have come up quite often so if someone can tell me a word to search or give me a link, that would be great.

I have a small sound that occurs from the door when I go over bumps or brake to a stop that I'm not sure is very important but is very annoying. I think it's coming from the driver's door which has a broken door seal.

Any other suggestions on what needs checking and when would be great since I pretty much know nothing about car maintenance and repair. I'd like to do some modifications to this car as well such as MTech bumpers/side skirts and some nice MParallels or Tstars but I definitely don't have the funds right now but maybe someday. Thanks in advance!

Fetch
11-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Looks really nice, classic green color :)

The air filters from the BMW dealer are great. I forget the brand offhand but I think www.bavauto.com has them as well.

I don't have your engine, so I won't recommend an oil brand/weight :)

Searching for 'door panel remove' should yield decent results on how to open it up.

You should get a bible, I mean the 'Bentley' manual, there is a pdf here:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27659&highlight=pdf

I'm feelin' kinda lazy right now, so I didn't really do any searches for you :P
Just wanted to say looks nice!!

Denton
11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Beautiful. I love Oxford Green on the E34.

BTW: I'm in college and just got my '95 525iA too! Interesting coincidence. I even have the same tires as you, lol. So far it's been a great college car, and everyone wants to drive it. They even want to take it to the liquor store to get beer because they "want to drive a Bimmer". I love it.

You already have MTech skirts, moldings, and painted lowers. I'd suggest you look into shadowlining. It would look great on your car.
http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/shadowline.html
strictlyeta.net /// technical /// exterior /// shadowline trim procedure

You need a new roundel on the hood. Pretty sure BavAuto has 'em.

The great thing about our '95s is that they come standard with the desireable mods, and some of the other stuff that the older E34s don't have. I love my lighted key! :)

Denton
11-19-2006, 06:26 PM
As far as maintenace, a lot of people are fine with dino oil and BMW oil filters. I don't change my own oil, and I'm fine with quality dino oil with 4k changes and top-offs.

BMW air filters should be changed every 12-15k. It takes literally 10 seconds to check your air filter, so check it every month.

I'm about to do a D'Sylva chip. $200 or so bucks and it apparently does A LOT for our M50TU automatics. Recommended by nearly everyone. That is also the only engine mod I would do.

Suspension bushings will all be shot if they haven't been replaced.

My car is on it's 3rd OE radiator at almost 104k, and it's second waterpump. Just remember that BMW can't make a long-lasting cooling system for the life of them.

I'm also getting very tired of the stock stereo.

calgreenbmw
11-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh thanks for the link to Bavarian Autosport. It looks like it has just about everything I could possibly want to buy... except I can't find a roundel even though I probably can't afford it right now anyways. But those ac schnitzer wheels look sweet don't they.:D

By the way, you can't download the Bentley manual anymore since its been up for too long. Any ideas how to get it for free?

Denton
11-19-2006, 07:02 PM
www.realoem.com may have the roundel.

calgreenbmw
11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
I should probably get this car inspected to see if anything needs replacing. I'll post a picture of the engine bay tomorrow. It actually looks really nice and quite clean. The radiator was changed at 70,000 miles but I don't think much else has been except for the brakes.

Denton
11-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I should probably get this car inspected to see if anything needs replacing. I'll post a picture of the engine bay tomorrow. It actually looks really nice and quite clean. The radiator was changed at 70,000 miles but I don't think much else has been except for the brakes.

Yeah, you'll probably need suspension stuff. I'd invest your money into overhauling the suspension before anything else. Drop it if you can.

Just be glad you have a '95. I am! :)

Fetch
11-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Just remember that BMW can't make a long-lasting cooling system for the life of them.

haha, it's true :p

Russell
11-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Find a good independent mechanic
Get all the records you can, than set up a maintanince schedule. Call the dealers, BMWNA and previous owner.
change every fluid in the car. However, be careful when changing trany fluid- do not flush, only drain and change the filter.
I use synthetics in engine (castrol syntec 5w40), trany (mobil 1 Dexron 111) and diff (redline)
Change plugs, fuel filter, air and cabin filters. Check BMA in Glendale , CA for parts. Call Patrick. .
These cars can cost $1-2000 a year in proper maintenance.
Check belts
Suspension could be weak by now. May need to replace struts and front thrust arm/bushings. Several other suspension parts may need care.
Tires-If you keep stock wheels, I highly recommend going to 225x60x15 tires.
Make sure you have all the owner books/manuals, especially the radio code if stock radio.
The EAT ECU chip by D'Sylvia is excellent
Get a Bentley manual for all your DIY work.

Good luck

Thayne
11-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Looks like everyone has said everything that I was going to. Oh well. :p Nice ride though. Love the color I have the same on my 540. :D

Traian
11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Looks great! Really makes me wish I could wash mine now :(

markus
11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
hey nice car. looks exactly like my 540i.

bigtisas
11-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Welcome. I just got my 92 525ia last month. Had replaced the motor oil, air filter, ps fluid, brake fluid and the stock stereo by myself. I notice the 525ia is a bit slow below 4000rpm. I am planning to get the EAT performance chip ($200) in the next couple months.

BTW, pretty cool license plate number you have.

Alexlind123
11-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Find a good independent mechanic
Get all the records you can, than set up a maintanince schedule. Call the dealers, BMWNA and previous owner.
change every fluid in the car. However, be careful when changing trany fluid- do not flush, only drain and change the filter.
I use synthetics in engine (castrol syntec 5w40), trany (mobil 1 Dexron 111) and diff (redline)
Change plugs, fuel filter, air and cabin filters. Check BMA in Glendale , CA for parts. Call Patrick. .
These cars can cost $1-2000 a year in proper maintenance.
Check belts
Suspension could be weak by now. May need to replace struts and front thrust arm/bushings. Several other suspension parts may need care.
Tires-If you keep stock wheels, I highly recommend going to 225x60x15 tires.
Make sure you have all the owner books/manuals, especially the radio code if stock radio.
The EAT ECU chip by D'Sylvia is excellent
Get a Bentley manual for all your DIY work.

Good luck

Isnt that the stock tire size? If not, what is?

calgreenbmw
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Here are some pics of the engine. BTW: that's just a photoshopped license plate.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6662/engine2ep3.jpg

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9482/engine3qy2.jpg

Omega
11-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Welcome!... A tidy e34 in Oxford Green. Sweet!

Anyway:

Hello everyone,
I have a small sound that occurs from the door when I go over bumps or brake to a stop that I'm not sure is very important but is very annoying. I think it's coming from the driver's door which has a broken door seal.

Is the sound a rattle or clunk that happens when going over a bump? First thing to try is get some electricians tape and wrap it a few times around the door pin on the B-pillar. Not too much but enough to make the pin slightly thicker. Now close the door and drive over a bump. Sound gone?....

The door locks wear so the door is able to move in the apeture. Thickening the lock pin removes the slack in the system. If it doesn't stop the noise, pull the inner door card and have a prod around.

Regardless of whether this cures the noise or not, replace the door seal. They aren't expensive and are more than worth replacing if they are torn.

Have fun with the e34. My favourite colour is Oxford Green............

Russell
11-20-2006, 04:13 PM
195/65/15 is the stock 525i tire. The larger size is used on the 535i and the V8s. BTW, I think the larger tire reduced my gas mileage 1 mpg or less. Just a seat of the pants observation.

Denton
11-20-2006, 07:57 PM
195/65/15 is the stock 525i tire. The larger size is used on the 535i and the V8s. BTW, I think the larger tire reduced my gas mileage 1 mpg or less. Just a seat of the pants observation.

I'm not sure about that. TireRack has it at 205/65/15 for the 525, and 225/65/16 for the 530 and 540.

Mine is 205 and can't imagine going any skinnier.

Russell
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
It is 205/65/15 for the 525i! I thad been so long since I changed tires, I just forgot. BTW, 195/x/14 size tire was what my e28 had. Sorry for the mistake.

However, 225x60x15 is correct for the 530 and 540. TireRack is wrong if they state otherwise.

BMWCCA1
11-21-2006, 01:36 AM
I believe the E34 525i Tourings also came with 225/60x15", but my memory could be shot.

danzee
11-21-2006, 07:28 PM
It's a great car. Congrats! Oxford green, just like mine.
Join BMWCCA for $45. You'll save that much on genuine BMW parts with discounts of 10-25% depending on the dealer. I sometime use the BMW Store in Ohio, but get most of my stuff at a local 20% dealer with 20% off parts.
I suggest you get new grommets when you get the new roundel.
OE roundels are $12-15.
Best of luck.
Z

Denton
11-21-2006, 07:35 PM
It is 205/65/15 for the 525i! I thad been so long since I changed tires, I just forgot. BTW, 195/x/14 size tire was what my e28 had. Sorry for the mistake.

However, 225x60x15 is correct for the 530 and 540. TireRack is wrong if they state otherwise.

You're right about the latter size, that was my typo! :D

YogiT
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey, i know this is an old thread but ill give it a try.

So i got my new used 1995 525i week ago. I went for a drive...its hard to get it to move. Like its slow of the line. Did you guys feel this when u bought yours for the first time.
thanks

Russell
04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
As far as maintenace, a lot of people are fine with dino oil and BMW oil filters. I don't change my own oil, and I'm fine with quality dino oil with 4k changes and top-offs.

BMW air filters should be changed every 12-15k. It takes literally 10 seconds to check your air filter, so check it every month.

I'm about to do a D'Sylva chip. $200 or so bucks and it apparently does A LOT for our M50TU automatics. Recommended by nearly everyone. That is also the only engine mod I would do.

Suspension bushings will all be shot if they haven't been replaced.

My car is on it's 3rd OE radiator at almost 104k, and it's second waterpump. Just remember that BMW can't make a long-lasting cooling system for the life of them.

I'm also getting very tired of the stock stereo.

My 95 is on the third radiator, at least 2nd waterpump plus aux waterpump.
IMO stock stereo is of very good quality. however, no ipod. I do have the CD changer.