PDA

View Full Version : distributor cap-M30 and M20 owners

Paul in NZ
11-18-2006, 03:08 AM
If you have an intermtternt miss under load,sometime hard starting,and a worsening idle check your disributor cap and rotor(M30 and presumably M20)My distributor cap had the center peice virtually disentegrated and rotor looked like it was about to fall apart.The inside of the cap and distibutor was literally wet!.I have a new one,idle much smoother,better response of idle, and even after only a few kilometers the fuel economy is gong up.I think my miss after a few days non use and occaisonally very hard to start is also gonna be gone.!Feels like a new car!

BillionPa
11-18-2006, 04:22 AM
i would rebuild the distributor to prevent further water leakage. also, is the coil stock?

genphreak
11-18-2006, 10:06 AM
i would rebuild the distributor to prevent further water leakage. also, is the coil stock?maybe a dying coil can cause problems too guys... and they sure as hell do die on these.

we_call_him_doher
11-18-2006, 03:05 PM
How intermittant was your hard starting? Did it seem to happen at any time and any temperature? Would it crank and crank and then kinda stall? But then start perfectly right afterwards? If so, I found the solution to my problem:)

Paul in NZ
11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
no my car starts every time after say three of four cranks.If it doesnt it doesnt fire at all.So i leave it for a few minutes then have another go.It ussually does this only when warm,and very infrequently,four times in three and a half years,but twice in two weeks.Hmm might have to check the coil.The car showed no stored faults.Is there a test for the coil?

BillionPa
11-18-2006, 10:38 PM
ohmage. its a transformer, and the secondary windings run some mighty high voltage.

Paul in NZ
11-19-2006, 02:35 AM
i know what a coil is.I will have to get my bentley back of my mate...