PDA

View Full Version : Jumpstarting

weather0527
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM
hi, my 90 535i has been sitting in my garage for few months.
the battery is totally dead.
since i cant access the battery under my back seats because the doors locked with double-locking, i have to charge it from the post besides my engine.
the problem is theres only positive post, the manual says connect the negative post on the lifting bracket or engine block.

but i have no idea what is lifting bracket and which part is the engine block.

thanks alot for bringing my car alive again.:)

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-17-2006, 06:22 PM
metal loop thing for lifting the motor, or just lokk for some other chunky metal thing to ground to.

weather0527
11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
thanks for helping, ill go check it out now.

BMWCCA1
11-18-2006, 12:19 AM
There may also be a lug on top of the strut tower. I forget which years had that. Or you can just use the unpainted strut tower studs as a negative. That's where I try and grab it.

genphreak
11-18-2006, 02:15 AM
There may also be a lug on top of the strut tower. I forget which years had that. Or you can just use the unpainted strut tower studs as a negative. That's where I try and grab it.Do a search for the unlocking procedure if you need to get in- its not hard to do and will let you straight in w a key and some patience whilst you get it right. I usually wrap a wire around a shock mount bolt- a slow charger only needs a 5 amp connection, a clean nut thread provides that with a well-wrapped wire ;)