PDA

View Full Version : My Touring on TV - THIS WEEKEND

Mr Project
11-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey fellow E34'ers, a month or two ago my sister won on a reality TV show called "Home Team". The show buys a house for a deserving family that can't afford it, the family does a secret remodel of the house, and we present the house as a surprise to the winner. (the house isn't free, you make the payments after the first year)

You can see more about the show and local listings at:

http://www.hometeam.com

In some areas of the country, our episode (Season 02, Episode 02, Lincoln, NE) aired a week ago, but at least around here it's going to air this weekend. The channel I'll be watching it on will be WGN, Sunday, 11/19/06 at 10am Central

Of course the real news is that I know my 535iTm has some screen time, and there was some hidden camera footage filmed inside...not sure if that made the final cut or not.

Check it out, it was a fun, though pretty stressful, project, and definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Kinda like building a 535iTm. :D

632 Regal
11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Ill be looking for it...:D

Macv
11-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Me too. I can imagine....

"Yes, we're building a house, but the real new is this beautiful 535 Touring."

attack eagle
11-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Nevermind I found it... I do get the national WGN station.

So Mr Project, whom am I looking for on the show?

Atl530i
11-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Me too. I can imagine....

"Yes, we're building a house, but the real new is this beautiful 535 Touring."

+1

The nouse is nice, but the BMW is nicer..

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-18-2006, 12:35 AM
in a daily reality show called "TRAFFIC"

?? courious ?? exactly who is winning this house?

A deserving family?

Yokokibe
11-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Wow, That's the first time I heard of a 535 touring with a manal tranny.
I have a 525it with the typical auto GM tranny.
Did you biuld the 535 or did it come stock that way?

Hey fellow E34'ers, a month or two ago my sister won on a reality TV show called "Home Team". The show buys a house for a deserving family that can't afford it, the family does a secret remodel of the house, and we present the house as a surprise to the winner. (the house isn't free, you make the payments after the first year)

You can see more about the show and local listings at:

http://www.hometeam.com

In some areas of the country, our episode (Season 02, Episode 02, Lincoln, NE) aired a week ago, but at least around here it's going to air this weekend. The channel I'll be watching it on will be WGN, Sunday, 11/19/06 at 10am Central

Of course the real news is that I know my 535iTm has some screen time, and there was some hidden camera footage filmed inside...not sure if that made the final cut or not.

Check it out, it was a fun, though pretty stressful, project, and definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Kinda like building a 535iTm. :D

attack eagle
11-18-2006, 04:28 AM
in a daily reality show called "TRAFFIC"

?? courious ?? exactly who is winning this house?

A deserving family?
How do you see a car on the RADIO?

attack eagle
11-18-2006, 04:29 AM
He built it... with a Donor touring and a 535 donor.

There is a HUGE LONG thread of the project up on here.

Mr Project
11-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I built the car...it had only been running for a little over a week when we shot the show. The interior still wasn't really put together, but I'd been driving it daily, and it proved quite useful to haul tools back and forth for the remodel.

Yes, it's my sister and her husband and son that won the house. I'm Armen, the oldest brother, and my wife and I were in charge of the remodel, since my parents were unavoidably out of the country during the whole thing. My sister has had quite a ride over the last 25 years...born 3 months premature, moved to Ukraine 1 month after marrying and did some missions work for 2 years, was nearly killed by a combo of double-pneumonia and staph infection 2 years ago, etc. Her husband works for the local City Mission that provides food and shelter for the homeless.

The show knew what their income was, what they could afford long-term, and what neighborhoods they would like to live in. They bought a house that fit the criteria, and they commit about $10k towards a remodel: $5k in structural/major improvements, and $5k in decor.

In my sister's case, it was more like $20k just in improvements to the house, since area businesses really stepped up and made some meaningful donations.

Basically the show gets the house, does the improvements, and makes the house payments for the first year. The recipients pay the taxes, and start making payments after the first year. It's designed to be a 'leg up', not a 'hand out', as they like to say on the show. The real twist is the family does a LOT of the work of the remodel. It was a crazy 3 days. :)

tim s
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
there was some good footage of your car.
tim s.

Mr Project
11-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, of course all the shots highlight the missing fuel door cover! :) I have one now...though it's Oxford Green and my car is Island Green....better than a hole, I guess.