PDA

View Full Version : Glass stripping/refinishing - Can polishing compound cut glass?

CharlesAFerg
11-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Can polishing compound cut glass? I have glass stripper but I want something more powerful to use and then use the stripper followed by... (Do you think swirl remover would polish glass also?

Your ideas, I got acidon my windows and I want to get rid of the marks. I went over everything w glass stripper with a buffer once but It needs to cut it down a bit more to completely remove it.

Alexlind123
11-17-2006, 09:14 AM
I have read that its really hard to cut glass by hand with out creating waviness.

Ross
11-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Maybe one of those guys who repair rock chips and such could polish it for you. They do some pretty amazing stuff.

ILoveMPower
11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Talk to some windshield repair guys, I'm sure they might have some advice for you

Booster
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Unless something new has come around, the way we used to always polish glass was with a special dense felt round block spinning at low rotational speeds with a fine white compound especially made for glass surfaces.
Heat will break the outer layer of glass if your not careful about speeds and pressure.
It is limited however, to the REAL amount of scratches and etching that can be removed.
It will indeed brighten the dull,hazy appearence of an old windshield.
You MUST overlap consistantly and do the WHOLE surface for it to look right when you stand back and observe .....or it will be spotty.:(
Even the Pro's have to DEAL with the hassle of it !
.........Vinny