PDA

View Full Version : Radiator - broken neck

DoctorZaius
11-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Small amount of steam coming from under hood on the left side. No temp gauge rise, just a little steam...then more. Within minutes more and more. Pulled off highway and immediately into nearest parking lot JUST as temp needle went red.

The PLASTIC tube at the top of the radiator broke clean off (and was now inside the flexible tubing). Not enough of the neck left to clamp the hose back on.

The best part was I only had the car a week. NO, I mean the VERY best part was that I was on my way back home after picking up my new wheels & tires. D'OH!

What were those BMW engineers thinking? A plastic neck? Worse yet, I have to believe it's possible to insert a threaded adapter (perhaps with a little work) and be able to re-clamp the hose. Dealer doesnt see it that way.

It's a sad ending...30 mi from home...towed to a stealer. Four figures to replace radiator. Painful initiation to the BMW Brotherhood.

shogun
11-16-2006, 10:47 PM
But a new radiator and that's it. All radiators have plastic necks.
Unless you ask a radiator shop to make the plastic tank and the connection in aluminium like my freind in Japan did. But the price for that was the same like a complete new radiator
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/107961
And even that was not bullet-proof, recently the plastic Y-piece broke, now he has a stell Y-piece
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/237442/

A new radiator is not that expensive.

Of course a radiator can be made completely of aluminium, but look at the prices Zionsville is asking for that. For that price I can buy 3 standard ones which last the next 20 years.

Rigmaster
11-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Yet another example of why I work on my own cars.

Even if you don't work on your own car- you could/should have had this job done somewhere besides the dealer.

Good quality aftermarket radiators are ALOT cheaper than the BMW rads, you should be able to find a good Nissens or other quality NEW radiator for you car for ~$150-200 and then install it yourself or have it replaced at a reputable indy for less than $200.

Sorry you had bad luck with your "new" car.

Look at it this way- it's still probably cheaper than the payment on a new Chevy Cavalier..... :)

Bret.

winfred
11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
you should be able to score a new radiator for $225-300 (the $600+ the dealer wants is ********) and about a hour to install if you don't know what you are doing, you should change the thermostat and thermostat cover (they crack) too while you are at it

shogun
11-16-2006, 11:05 PM
218 $ a Nissens at Autohaus Arizona
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=3j2f4n55xnblgf3dhasi5oqt&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012284@530I&year=1995&cid=16@Cooling%20System&gid=2172@Radiator

Russell
11-17-2006, 01:11 AM
my rad neck broke on way back from my indy doing a pre purchase inspection. They had just warned me of the potential issue. Dealer put new rad in and i purchased.

angrypancake
11-17-2006, 02:38 AM
it sucks, and it happens to virtually all of us. mine broke off a couple summers ago at Warped Tour, it was 107 degrees in the shade, the gf was passed out with heat stroke and i didnt have a/c.... 'twas a grand old time.

genphreak
11-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Heaps of them are overtightened people. I am sure they die with age, but overtightening a plastic neck will see it break at some weird and stunningly awkward moment. I reccommend replacining the hoses just to check and be sure this is not the case. Using old hoses increases the amount you have to overtighten btw as they compress at the neck ends with age.

Ross
11-17-2006, 09:20 AM
It's twelve years old, a radiator replacement shouldn't be unexpected.
Four figures on the other hand is robbery. It's not a tough job to do yourself.

Booster
11-17-2006, 10:11 AM
If your poor at the moment.......sandpaper,brake cleaner solvent and JB Weld are your saviour ! Amazing stuff if you prep good.
I've been saved with it on the side of the road more times than I can count. Freeze plug blow-out......wiper arm problems.....missing hardware.....stripped lugnuts.....slowing cracking glass....etc.( radiator necks !!)
Its the product for imaginations.;)
.............Vinny