PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Ass Scary Noises!

BFEINZIMER
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Ok, so I got my tranny rebuilt, drives good, had this all done a few weeks ago. But when I got the car back I noticed a hard and noticable grinding noise when decelerating from speed and you hear it from like 30-0 and on. Its not the brakes, as I can be standing still at times and hear it after it started up. So I got my brothers music mictophone and put it in sevral places in the car to try to record the sound, to no avail. It just dident pick it up. But something else thats been bothering me has been happening.

Sometimes when I start it, about 3 seconds form turning over, you can hear a loud clunk. This pick up very obviously when I put the mic in the engine compartment.

And last night coming home from work an M3 passed me up, so I gunned it to catch up and check out his car. I pressed nearly down full throttle, it accelerated, but it seems like the tachometer went from 2,3,4 and then jumps to 5,6 super fast liek the tranny slipped, and I dident feel an abrupt pull so I let off the trottle right away, end of story, everything was fine, but I'm wondering what the hell that was.

The other issue I've had for a long time now. Sometime when pulling out of my driveway, I go slow because its a tight fit. So after sevral feet, with my foot on the brake to keep the car slow, I feel a bump in the pedal, only. Just one little bump, no noise, just the bump, in the pedal...wtf?

So my bump, the clunk, and the grind, **** what a mess. Oh and for your listening pleasure, the clunk.

WHAT IS THIS:
http://www.bfserver.com/files/start.mp3
"Sometimes when I start it, about 3 seconds form turning over, you can hear a loud clunk. This pick up very obviously when I put the mic in the engine compartment."

Thanks for the help.

-Brian

BFEINZIMER
11-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Not a single reply in a whole day, dam I'm screwed.

CharlesAFerg
11-17-2006, 01:41 AM
brake pedal bump?
Does that sometimes when I go over a wet leaf or a manhole cover when I'm braking to a stop slowly. Don't know what it could be with your car, but that's probably nothing, just a little slip.

No idea about the transmission though.

BFEINZIMER
11-17-2006, 01:45 AM
brake pedal bump?
Does that sometimes when I go over a wet leaf or a manhole cover when I'm braking to a stop slowly. Don't know what it could be with your car, but that's probably nothing, just a little slip.

No idea about the transmission though.

Its almost every time, it has me kinda concerned. Thanks for finnaly repling...

bsell
11-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Ok, so I got my tranny rebuilt, drives good, had this all done a few weeks ago. But when I got the car back I noticed a hard and noticable grinding noise when decelerating from speed and you hear it from like 30-0 and on. Its not the brakes, as I can be standing still at times and hear it after it started up. So I got my brothers music mictophone and put it in sevral places in the car to try to record the sound, to no avail. It just dident pick it up. But something else thats been bothering me has been happening.

Sometimes when I start it, about 3 seconds form turning over, you cna hear a loud clunk. This pick up very obviously when I put the mic in the engine compartment.

And last night coming home from work an M3 passed me up, so I gunned it to catch up and check out his car. I pressed nearly down full throttle, it accelerated, but it seems like the tachometer went from 2,3,4 and then jumps to 5,6 super fast liek the tranny slipped, and I dident feel an abrupt pull so I let off the trottle right away, end of story, everything was fine, but I'm wondering what the hell that was.

The other issue I've had for a long time now. Sometime when pulling out of my driveway, I go slow because its a tight fit. So after sevral feet, with my foot on the brake to keep the car slow, I feel a bump in the pedal, only. Just one little bump, no noise, just the bump, in the pedal...wtf?

So my bump, the clunk, and the grind, **** what a mess. Oh and for your listening pleasure, the clunk.

http://www.bfserver.com/files/start.mp3

Thanks for the help.

-Brian

Take it back to the rebuild shop and have them pull the pan. Some of what you are describing sounds like a messed up one-way clutch (forward clutch). Of course it could be other things like clutch pack play or slipping clutch packs due to low pressure. In other words a host of things... Pulling the pan to look for metal shavings is usually the fastest way to prove something serious is going wrong in the trans.

The brake thing may be coincidental. When is the last time pads were replaced? If the pads are near the end of their service life, they are thinner and ride in a different area of the caliper than normal. So what you are experiencing may or may not be normal operation. Either way, it warrants pulling the wheels and having a look-see.

Good luck,

Brian

BFEINZIMER
11-19-2006, 03:13 AM
Take it back to the rebuild shop and have them pull the pan. Some of what you are describing sounds like a messed up one-way clutch (forward clutch). Of course it could be other things like clutch pack play or slipping clutch packs due to low pressure. In other words a host of things... Pulling the pan to look for metal shavings is usually the fastest way to prove something serious is going wrong in the trans.

The brake thing may be coincidental. When is the last time pads were replaced? If the pads are near the end of their service life, they are thinner and ride in a different area of the caliper than normal. So what you are experiencing may or may not be normal operation. Either way, it warrants pulling the wheels and having a look-see.

Good luck,

Brian

Thanks man for your helpful words. Well the pads and the rotors are plenty think though I need to grind the rotors as there very shiny so I havta get around to doin that in autoshop. They do have a squeak to them also sometimes. Anyone listen to that recording yet?

Ross
11-19-2006, 07:39 AM
The sound is a real stumper to me. It takes a moment for the oil pump in the trans to build pressure, longer if things aren't right. Maybe the soun you here is in the trans, something moving when oil pressure is applied???
Don't think your brake thing is related unless what you are feeling is a momentary loss of drive.
What's clear is that your trans builder made a mistake and it's not going to get any better. Get it back there before it's total junk.
Was your rebuild due to a hard failure or just wear?

BFEINZIMER
11-19-2006, 11:39 AM
The sound is a real stumper to me. It takes a moment for the oil pump in the trans to build pressure, longer if things aren't right. Maybe the soun you here is in the trans, something moving when oil pressure is applied???
Don't think your brake thing is related unless what you are feeling is a momentary loss of drive.
What's clear is that your trans builder made a mistake and it's not going to get any better. Get it back there before it's total junk.
Was your rebuild due to a hard failure or just wear?

Well the sound was there (sharp clunk) before he started the rebuild, he siad that was the tranny going into limp, but obviously not because its doing it now without affecting the way the car drives. The brake issue is not related. Yea, I'ma take it in Monday or Tuesday. The discs/packs? were slipping before because of normal wear.

Ross
11-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't know enough about the internals to be sure but it seems fishy to me that the trans would make any sound at all "going into limp" as that's only a program.
Godd luck. Be sure to post the results.

632 Regal
11-19-2006, 12:47 PM
you do have a couple issues going on dont you? I would check all the mounts, motor and trans, also check the guibo and make sure the centershaft was reinstalled properly with correct preload.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BFEINZIMER
11-20-2006, 12:26 AM
you do have a couple issues going on dont you? I would check all the mounts, motor and trans, also check the guibo and make sure the centershaft was reinstalled properly with correct preload.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the additional tips. I will proably lift my car into auto and check the things you mentioned to an extent but for the dirty stuff I'll make the tranny guy do it.

BFEINZIMER
11-21-2006, 10:49 PM
We couldent get to the driveshaft or anything as the heatsheild is in the way...I'm have the tranny guy deal with it, oh can someone identify that noise in the sound file?

ALSO:

So sometimes, randomly mind you, the car will not start, it will just crank and do nothing, or if I hold it long enough, it MIGHT BARLEY come to life, or seem like it and die. So I usually just trun it off for a second or two, retry and it fires to life. Now, recently, sometimes it will start without me even hearing it crank. I turn and it comes right to life like everything is on steorids. I can't figure out why its doing either of these things. Anyone?

granit_silber
11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
So sometimes, randomly mind you, the car will not start, it will just crank and do nothing, or if I hold it long enough, it MIGHT BARLEY come to life, or seem like it and die. So I usually just trun it off for a second or two, retry and it fires to life. Now, recently, sometimes it will start without me even hearing it crank. I turn and it comes right to life like everything is on steorids. I can't figure out why its doing either of these things. Anyone?

When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
-ashley

BFEINZIMER
11-22-2006, 03:21 PM
When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
-ashley

My autoshop teacher suggestuded that also...so I guess I'll replace it and see what happens...

BFEINZIMER
11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
But the thing is does anyone have anything more spicific I could tell the tranny guy other than a weird noise, cuse I don't want him to have my car for another 2 weeks, its my only way to get around...

BFEINZIMER
11-23-2006, 03:34 PM
bump again, please somoene identify that noise in the sound file in the first post