PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good source of wheels, Here's what I am looking at doing...

EricV
11-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi folks. I'm an ingrequent poster but have used this board since I bought my '93 525i (manual) about 5 years ago. It's been a good car- swapped suspension/dropped, M5 sways, chip- that's all. It's got 106K on it now. If you have patience, please read. My ultimate question will be about where to buy- the best source.

I had Style 32's on it, 17 inch staggered (8 wide in front, 9 in rear.) They looked great. For the past few months I have been running the stock basketweaves as I didn't want to "waste" that rubber that was just sitting around. After switching back to stock, I found that running the really wide rears wasn't that appealing any longer- just too wide and the car doesn't have enough bark/bite for this set-up that had come off of a e39 540 sport.

I really want to go with a set that is 8x17 all around (I am not big on 18's, personal preference blah, blah, blah.) The Rondell 58's look good, but they're 8.5 all around- I suppose I could live w/ that but again prefer 8's as a compromise. I REALLY want M-Parellels, but fear they may be too expensive and not available in 17x8 (only 18?)

Are there aftermarket replica's that are good? You know, not too heavy or inferior in quality. Price is something I have to consider. I will sell the Style 32's for around 400-500 (I'm guessing) as they have some curb rash and some finigh flaking (not too many spots, but a few.) Does this sound reasonable? I bought them for 600 w/ the rash and only two small flake spots. I will also sell the basketweaves for around 200 for the set, if this sounds reasonable (opinions?) they're in good shape, but the finish is starting to wear thin.

If anyone has advice on a source please let me know, as well as your thoughts on replicas. Sorry to go long on you guys!

I'm at work, but will check this post throughout the day.

As always, I truly appreciate your experience and opinions!

Eric
Virginia

ryan roopnarine
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
ot, but how did your motor turn out? i'm assuming OK if you are asking about wheel selection?

EricV
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Last week I took it to the place I trust the most, about an hour away in Richmond- a place recommended by the Pres of our local BMWCCA chapter. I outlined my issues and told them to give it the once over.

They did a compression test and said it was above average for a car of this age/mileage- good to hear. They also believe that my knocking is a result of the EAT chip- running the car too rich. They put some octane boost in it and that seems, and I stress seems, to have validated their opinion. I don't know, I'm still worried but have chosen to hang onto the car for another year or so. They couldn't pin down my loss of oil- said it had some seepage that I shouldn't be concerned about and that, in conjunction w/ consumption that comes with mileage, should account for oil loss. I was pleased about the compression test though and overall they though the car was very healthy.

I sure do appreciate your help, advice, and interest!

BMWCCA1
11-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Where are you located in VA?
I'm a big fan of the 32s and think maybe you should consider looking for two more front ones, and painting what you've got. Also, the understeer you experience with the larger rears can often be partially compensated for by using substantially more tire pressure at the front than at the rear or, vice-verse, less at the rear than the front. Play around with it. You could also try a slightly larger rear sway bar. You could also try using the same size tire, or slightly smaller rear than you've got now, depending on what rim width the manufacturer specs for your tire. For instance, the 235/45x17" Avons the previous owner put on my "new" 525i's 17" OZ wheels will fit rim widths from 7.5 to 9 according to Tire Rack.

You might want to talk to Mark at EAT (link at top of page) about recalibrating your chip if it's causing problems. He'd certainly have an answer for you.

Good luck.

EricV
11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
You make a good point and I have thought of going that route- getting two more 8x17 32's. I may do that. You know how it goes though- you see something you like, such as the M-parellels or the Style 5's, and you get that stuck in your head. The e34 does look good w/ the 32's though, and the thing I liked about the 9x17 rears was the nice lip to the rim. Still, I think I want to have the same size all around although your fixes to the issue would certainly help.

Good idea on contacting Mark- I'll have to do that to see what's involved in getting that mixture sorted out.

My e34 is white also- great choice. I have to admit that I envy your wide grille. :)

Take care!

Eric

Where are you located in VA?
I'm a big fan of the 32s and think maybe you should consider looking for two more front ones, and painting what you've got. Also, the understeer you experience with the larger rears can often be partially compensated for by using substantially more tire pressure at the front than at the rear or, vice-verse, less at the rear than the front. Play around with it. You could also try a slightly larger rear sway bar. You could also try using the same size tire, or slightly smaller rear than you've got now, depending on what rim width the manufacturer specs for your tire. For instance, the 235/45x17" Avons the previous owner put on my "new" 525i's 17" OZ wheels will fit rim widths from 7.5 to 9 according to Tire Rack.

You might want to talk to Mark at EAT (link at top of page) about recalibrating your chip if it's causing problems. He'd certainly have an answer for you.

Good luck.

BMWCCA1
11-16-2006, 09:52 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you. I don't recall seeing any E34s with 32s around here.

Digita1 Ecstasy
11-16-2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.streetdreams.org/wheels/acschnitzer/acschnitzer_type2_3pc_silver.jpg

Is my favorite wheel.

were you assking what kinda of wheels you wanted? im too buzzed to read all that writting

BillionPa
11-17-2006, 12:28 AM
check out turbines.

in relation to knocking, run techron fuel system cleaner with octane booster for 3 tanks, the dont use either on the next tank and see if it still pings.