PDA

View Full Version : Card in Bicycle Spokes Sound When Braking

borderchris
11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey everybody... Do any of you guys remember the sound of playing cards in the spokes of your bike? Kind of Phhhhhhhpppbbbbbbbtttttttttttt, right?

Well, every now and then, maybe 10% of the time, when braking, I get that sound from the right front. Clacky, quick and in relation to the speed, slowing down as I decelerate. Any ideas?

Brakes are fine, rotors fine, no bearing noise, no pull. Arrgghh! :(

Chris

Oh. And, yes, I checked for playing cards...

bsell
11-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Hey everybody... Do any of you guys remember the sound of playing cards in the spokes of your bike? Kind of Phhhhhhhpppbbbbbbbtttttttttttt, right?

Well, every now and then, maybe 10% of the time, when braking, I get that sound from the right front. Clacky, quick and in relation to the speed, slowing down as I decelerate. Any ideas?

Brakes are fine, rotors fine, no bearing noise, no pull. Arrgghh! :(

Chris

Oh. And, yes, I checked for playing cards...

You know what I find strangest about this is the symptoms happen only 10% of the time...

Is the frequency fast like the vanes in the middle of the rotor? Or slower like the texture of the inside of your rim? The speed of the noise in relation to road speed should give you an indication of what is touching and making noises.

I had a sticker peeling off the flat part of the inner rim (opposite the tread) which resulted in a very quiet tick, tick, tick. Due to the curl, it was louder when going forward than in reverse.

I would take off the wheel and look at the back side for clean spots where something has been touching/rubbing.