PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Question

KenB
11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Tried to install new fuel pump today. In a diner parking lot...

Changed connectors, didn't have a new gasket cause the dealer had to special order it. Had to try it cause got stuck and hitting it didn't work.

Thought everything was ok but car would not start. Slight leak at fuel rail below regulator, tightened hose clamps. No start. Tried new FP relay, nada.

Took pump out to re check connections, put back in. Zip

Pump is definitely running while cranking. I don't think it was possible for me to reverse the hoses on the sending unit as there is not enought room to cross them. New clamps from BMW dealer, the gasket looked good, was not damaged or dried out.

Got dark had to give up will try again tomorow. WTF am I doing wrong???

Is it possible that there is not enough gas in the tank, it's at 1/4 full? Does the pump have to be primed somehow? Could air be locked in the feed tube between tank and regulator? Could regulator have suddenly gone bad? Sucking air somewhere??

It's gotta be something simple I've overlooked (I hope) any suggestions?

EDIT: I am an imbecile. Got hoses reversed on the pump, I thought the one with the wires tied to it went to the connector on the pump next to where the wires connected, DOH!!!

All fixed now, went back tonight after begging a ride, the answer came to me after I posted this and it couldn't wait since it's gonna rain for the next 2 days here. Took all of 10 minutes.