PDA

View Full Version : Do wide tires/rims suck?

NielsGalan
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey everybody.

Just some thoughts after changing to stock wheels for the winter.

I have 2 sets of rims.

One set for winter, 15" 195 wide with mud/snow tires.
and
One set for summer, Style 5, 17" 235 wide.

Absolutely no doubt about what looks better on the car. Nothing can beat a set of wide style 5 rims. The stock rims are a bore, and make the car look like an old man's car.

BUT

Driving with the stock wheels is soooooooooooooooo much nicer. I hate to say it, I really do. Steering feels better, keeping the car on track at long straight runs i no longer an issue, no shimmy (low blow, I know) - Totally different car.

Has anybody noticed anything similar?

632 Regal
11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
my summer tires are 16s on Falkens with a soft wall, comfortable driving. The winters are stock 15s with semperit snows with a stiff sidewall and they are stiffer than the 16" falkens. I thing it all has to do with sidewall thickness.

as for wider...the wider you go the less traction you get, meaning wider = less psi to the road...but, with the proper weight it can stick better. Skinnies with too much weight will tend to slide out faster than thicker.

sorry my post is useless...lol

genphreak
11-15-2006, 05:57 PM
that push the car more than is legally allowed on the street.

This is a point most miss.

Narrow tyres
- make less noise
- have less rolling resistance
- allow faster acceleration, better low speed handling and economy
- make less spray in the wet
- handle better in the wet (so long as they aren't toooo narrow)
- are far better in the snow
- cost less

Wide tyres
- make more noise
- have more rolling resistance
- reduce acceleration, screw up low speed handling (tram-lining, exacerbate suspension limitations and wear) and play havoc with economy - make more spray in the wet
- can handle much worse in the wet if they are too wide (are more subject to aqua-planing)
- handle way better at speed and high pressure driving (go faster round corners and can translate more acceleartive and brake force to the road)
- are crap in the snow
- cost more

That said, I run 225s on 7" rims which aren't as narrow as I could have them. But I like moderately wider tyres so I don't get the rims all gutter rashed.

A good thing to do is increase track by a very little... this gives a better look and doesn't impact economy. But it makes for worse low-speed handling, ie tram lining...

scott540
11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. I put my snow tires on last weekend with the stock 15 inch wheels. I don't feel like I'm "crossing the wake" when I change lanes any more but the 17 inch Rondells looks so much cooler.

Zeuk in Oz
11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Stock rules ! :D

NielsGalan
11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. I put my snow tires on last weekend with the stock 15 inch wheels. I don't feel like I'm "crossing the wake" when I change lanes any more but the 17 inch Rondells looks so much cooler.

I heard that :)

filip00
11-15-2006, 07:25 PM
i'm always for putting 195 or 185 on the winter wheel. but summer wheels, i prefer my tyres to be 225 or 235. they grip better, easier control...plus, the tyre is lower, it's easier to drift if you like, or control your car if you drive fast. -here everybody exceeds the speed limit....fck it.

jiminEcricket
11-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I run 17 x 9 with 255 40 17,s . I love the look as it is also lowered, BUT it sucks badly in the snow and the but puckers somewhat when at moderate speeds and hitting light standing water in a curve.

chiefcorey
11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I just purchased 4 new falken's for my 'new' 95 540i. All on 17" rims, but 275's on the rear and 245's on the front.\

They look absolutely incredible and wouldn't change it for the world.

It definately feels like riding a wake when changing lanes, I was wondering about why that was!!!

Would this also be why even in one lane it sometimes can pull me in one direction or another. I had an '03 Outback H6 previously and it was so smooth to drive in comparison...

Any comments are appreciated.

Qube
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Snows, go narrow 15s.

I just switched from 235 17 last week to my 15 snows... and DAMN! In the dry, I miss the wide grippy stable tires. Once snow kicks in, I'll like em.

filip00
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
It definately feels like riding a wake when changing lanes, I was wondering about why that was!!!

Would this also be why even in one lane it sometimes can pull me in one direction or another. I had an '03 Outback H6 previously and it was so smooth to drive in comparison...

Any comments are appreciated.

yes, when i switched from a 320i to 525i, i got wheels that were much wider. first thing i noticed was how it sometimes pulls me thru the lane, and when i'm changing lanes, that feeling, like waves. i asked my friends what could it be, they all confirmed it's due to wide tyres, and is considered normal. so no need to worry.

Jon K
11-15-2006, 11:51 PM
255/40/17 on 10" wide rims... but this spring I am running 285 or 295's

632 Regal
11-16-2006, 12:15 AM
take the cam when your stuck.

255/40/17 on 10" wide rims... but this spring I am running 285 or 295's

Jon K
11-16-2006, 12:53 AM
stuck in what?

Paul in NZ
11-16-2006, 03:26 AM
even tho 235s arent that much wider than stock ,esp when worn i get a lot of tramlining,but no other worries.I have never ever felt that i lack grip,but 235 arent too wide for a 1500 kg-1600 kg car.The wet isnt a problem either.we dont have snow to worry about.

BlueM60
11-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I have also noticed this myself. I was thinking about just getting a set of stockers for long trips for an improved highway ride. I run 235/45 7.5" fron and 255/40 8.5" in the rear. I have noticed the slight pulling effect you described and always have narrowed it down to the wheels or just slight wear in the steering box. Ive aligned the car multiple times and know its spot-on there. I think thats the biggest downfall of these cars, no rack and pinion steering! Guess thats the slight setback of being designed in the mid to late 80's. Of course E39 540is had steering boxes until 03!

-Ben

brick8
11-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Make sure that if you go with narrower winter tires that they have an acceptable load range. Bimmers are heavy cars and you don't want to pop a tire or screw up the belts.