PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt slipping in flooded road conditions

Rory525
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Just wondered if anybody else had the V belt slip when driving through deep puddles on flooded roads?

I hit a couple tonight which were deeper than I expected and coming out of them I could hear a little screech and the car stuttered a bit. I had the same thing when driving in lots of snow.

Has anybody else had this too? Is the v belt not well enough protected from splashes on the M50 ?

Jr ///M5
11-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Rory, the 535i came with a splash guard that shielded the bottom of the engine. Look at the ETK or www.realoem.com, the part # is 51-71-193-8182.

Hopefully this link works and will show you the diagram, it's located at the very bottom of the page under HeatInsulat/Engine Compartment Screening.
Try here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HD12&mospid=47382&hg=51&fg=70

Note that there are a couple of fasteners and sheet metal bolts that attach the shielding to the underneath of your car. The shield fits all E34's, but I'm not sure about availability.

Hope this helps,
JR

632 Regal
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
JR is right, need them splash guards.

Derek A.
11-15-2006, 09:27 PM
just stay away from the really big puddles :)

Alexlind123
11-15-2006, 10:57 PM
just stay away from the really big puddles :)

BUt they are fun!

genphreak
11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
BUt they are fun!Perhaps and full of salt and phosphates and various spilt chemicals that we need driven into the seams of the car... it's amazing what gets spilt on the road. I avoid puddles for this- and after the time I saw someone bottom out on a puddle in a lowered car at about 60kmh. They went into an slight oversteer as the puddle was only deep on the left of the car- but just deep enough to float the floor pan for a short way.

It took sometime to stop after the first time the front hit the kerbstone... all the cars behind came to rest too- they saw him became an instant 4-wheeled pinball. His car had 'very well chamferred corners' and no lights.

Jon K
11-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Dont go thru floods? lol

CharlesAFerg
11-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Just wondered if anybody else had the V belt slip when driving through deep puddles on flooded roads?

I hit a couple tonight which were deeper than I expected and coming out of them I could hear a little screech and the car stuttered a bit. I had the same thing when driving in lots of snow.

Has anybody else had this too? Is the v belt not well enough protected from splashes on the M50 ?

That as well as the pwoer steering would go out, I had mine adjusted and they are fine... WHat would happen is they would start to scream and then it would happen, but only after puddles. I avoid them not, but they are adjusted better and I also sprayed them with beld dressing to enhance their grip.

Theres something "squeaking"(sorta) and it's not a belt but something that the belt is rotating under my car, can't tell if it's the water pump or fan or what... any common isues with squeaky scratchy parts connected to the belts down there? Unlike the puddle problem, it's always there, rain or shine hot or cold.

Qube
11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
The guard is available from BMA for something like $40 bucks.

Rory525
11-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks JR I think I might look into that.

For people saying avoid big puddles I didnt have any choice, I had to go down this road to get home ! lol Weve had so much rain here this week.

Rory, the 535i came with a splash guard that shielded the bottom of the engine. Look at the ETK or www.realoem.com, the part # is 51-71-193-8182.

Hopefully this link works and will show you the diagram, it's located at the very bottom of the page under HeatInsulat/Engine Compartment Screening.
Try here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HD12&mospid=47382&hg=51&fg=70

Note that there are a couple of fasteners and sheet metal bolts that attach the shielding to the underneath of your car. The shield fits all E34's, but I'm not sure about availability.

Hope this helps,
JR

31Hertz
11-16-2006, 08:47 AM
they are adjusted better and I also sprayed them with beld dressing to enhance their grip.

Theres something "squeaking"(sorta) and it's not a belt but something that the belt is rotating under my car, can't tell if it's the water pump or fan or what... any common isues with squeaky scratchy parts connected to the belts down there? Unlike the puddle problem, it's always there, rain or shine hot or cold.

Be careful with the belt dressing: I used that stuff on my '91 Chevy Blazer and a few miles later in the Wendy's drive through my serpentine belt disintegrated. I may have been too liberal in my application of the stuff though. :p

I might suspect the belt tensioner for the other squeaking or perhaps a bearing in one of the accessories. 2cents.