PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Oz have a car with Dunlop SP2000E tyres?

genphreak
11-15-2006, 09:17 AM
I'd really like to know how you find them... am thinking about a new set atm. Also am looking at Michelin's of course. $$$

Zeuk in Oz
11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I'd really like to know how you find them... am thinking about a new set atm. Also am looking at Michelin's of course. $$$
Have never driven on those Dunlops but you might be disapppointed with what you find in the Michelin range.

Just put 4 (French) Michelin Primacy tyres on my 528iT as my favourite Pilot HX MXM tyres are no longer available. The Primacy is the direct replacement for the Pilot, according to Michelin.

So far unimpresssed (especially at $ 495 per tyre). The tyre vendor promised I could take them back if I was disatissfied, and am seriously considering putting Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres on instead. The Primacy is very noisy and doesn't handle very well.

I now have the (French) Continentals on my 525i ($250 each) and even though they are harsher than the previous Pilots I feel they are quite good wrt roadholding & grip.

The alternative from Michelin for my 528iT was Pilot Prededa PP2 tyres but they were half the price & made in Thailand so I thought I was taking the better option.

I spoke to Michelin about all this and they basically said they will soon be sourcing all their tyres from Asia.

Michelin seem to have lost the plot if they discontinued such a great tyre as the Pilot HX MXM.

It just makes you wonder if they actually drive on them at all ?

The other thing they could do is make the Pilot Sport in more sizes.

genphreak
11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks Zeuk,

I expect the tyres form Michelin's new factory will be very good- new proceses and tooling usually makes a huge difference. The costs of the environmental impact of such plants in the EU are high and higher costs of manufacturing there on the whole would be the major component that makes tyres more $500 each as opposed to the $300 a set as they can be had for from people that are pollute their part of our world. That is a huge difference in price due to other factors also... but I wouldn't go for a really shitty set ever...

These SP200Es are stock on performance e46s, just wondering what they are like wear wise in the heat... the price is high though (around $330 each in 225x55x16), only a little more than 4x higher than the cheapest SE Asian shitbags that aren't correctly speed-rated or perhaps properly made... I can handle that much extra for a real tyre!

Zeuk in Oz
11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Haven't seen your car in the flesh so didn't know what tyre sizes you are running.

Same as my touring

FYI, my Primacy tyres were $495 each 225/55/16 95 W
or Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres are $356 each.

BTW, took the touring for a few kms of spirited driving and have decided to stay with the Primacy Michelins. :D

genphreak
11-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Haven't seen your car in the flesh so didn't know what tyre sizes you are running.

Same as my touring

FYI, my Primacy tyres were $495 each 225/55/16 95 W
or Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres are $356 each.

BTW, took the touring for a few kms of spirited driving and have decided to stay with the Primacy Michelins. :DThat's my size too. Other one I was looking at was the Pirelli P6000 225/55 ZR16TL 95W (J)

But there are all those P-Zeros versions that they try to tempt one with also... I hate buying tyres!

Gotta love the old Italian marketing though;
P6000 is the choice of the most prestigious car manufacturers. Developed with PASS (Pirelli Active Safety System) technology, P6000 enhances the capability of existing safety systems on modern cars, by improving the performance of the "footprint", actively responding to changing road surfaces and variable operating temperatures.

The "wave" tread pattern design gives a unique fashionable look to the tyre which, together with the wide central groove, ensures excellent water expulsion. The silica-based compound not only offers exceptional performance on dry roads, but also maximum grip and safety in the wet.

Are the Pirellis a no go? The price is around $350 odd I think.

The cost on the Conti's Premier Contacts was $220 each...P225/55R16 94H. Hmmm so much difference! Did you get Pros? P225/55R16 94H
They must be a lot stickier...

Zeuk in Oz
11-16-2006, 05:32 AM
That's my size too. Other one I was looking at was the Pirelli P6000 225/55 ZR16TL 95W (J)

But there are all those P-Zeros versions that they try to tempt one with also... I hate buying tyres!

Gotta love the old Italian marketing though;
P6000 is the choice of the most prestigious car manufacturers. Developed with PASS (Pirelli Active Safety System) technology, P6000 enhances the capability of existing safety systems on modern cars, by improving the performance of the "footprint", actively responding to changing road surfaces and variable operating temperatures.

The "wave" tread pattern design gives a unique fashionable look to the tyre which, together with the wide central groove, ensures excellent water expulsion. The silica-based compound not only offers exceptional performance on dry roads, but also maximum grip and safety in the wet.

Are the Pirellis a no go? The price is around $350 odd I think.

The cost on the Conti's Premier Contacts was $220 each...P225/55R16 94H. Hmmm so much difference! Did you get Pros? P225/55R16 94H
They must be a lot stickier...

Nick,

I would advise against the P6000 tyres. Had them on my Volvo 850 AWD and they were terrible.

I would also check your tyre placard - all E34s in Oz need V rated tyres, I think you will find.

If you drive on H rated when your tyre placard says V, insurance companies can wipe their hands of you when you need them most.

Has less to do with speed and more to do with quality of manufacture.

I would recommend the Premium Contact 2 tyres - mine on my E 34 (225/60/15 96W) were made in France.

Also look at the Michelin Preceda PP2 (at about $250 I think), but it is made in Thailand and I have had problems with Asian tyres before with respect of quality of manufacture.

Perhaps that is no longer the case - I just don't know.

The Conti Prem Contact 2 and the Michelin Preceda PP2 are almost identical patterns to the no longer available Milchelin Pilot HX MXM.

Go figure.

Good Luck,

Bo

Airborne001
11-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Dear god, just for comparison, what did you guys pay for a pilot when they were available?

rob101
11-16-2006, 06:00 AM
interesting read, have you guys had any experience with continental sport contact 2......... premium contacts don't come in low profile :D

Zeuk in Oz
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
interesting read, have you guys had any experience with continental sport contact 2......... premium contacts don't come in low profile :D
Rob,

A friend of mine has them on his E46 and is happy with them.

Also look at the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Zeuk in Oz
11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Dear god, just for comparison, what did you guys pay for a pilot when they were available?
The last lot of Pilot HX MXM tyres I bought cost me $470 each.

Scared yet ? The result of a small economy and tyre companies that know when they have you by the short & curlies !

Car prices are just as inflated compared with the States or Europe. :(

rob101
11-16-2006, 03:51 PM
excellent, time for some new shoes to go with her new exhaust.

Boom n Zoom
11-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Nick,

I have the SP Sport 2000E (Runflats) these are German made, (therefore my respect went up a little), mind you these are in a 255/40 ZR17 $450.00 a shot on a 10" rim.

My initial feel of them was of far more grip than the Pirelli PZero Azzimetrico's that came off, but mind you the Pirelli's had past the point of no return after my first trip to Sydney (Canvas and steel showing on the inner right rear and I lost the left rear 200Kms odd from the NSW/QLD border. I had forgotten what a handful a car that has 255/40/17 rubber on one side has and the stock 225/60/15 on the other. A joy to experience until the Stocker had come up to temperature then it was really quite good until the righthanders where the extra sidewall would flex and make for a lot of wiggling and squirming ;) )

I have given these tyres a hiding, as I have never been fond of Banglops.
After the first 500Kms I had the fortune to take it to a quiet track day. I spun them up hard a few times and drove them as hard as I could to get them to drifting stage.

My conclusion is as follows:

They are progressive in their loss of lateral traction, which means that you can push them very hard and you can find the limit very easily simply because if you step over, they break away progressively.

OK I'm going to start sliding now!

Here I go!

OK were are beginning to slide

Time for you to do something

etc.....

I cannot comment on fronts as I have the Michelin Pilot Preceda's (there is no marking as to their place of origin).
These are amazingly quiet to the point where on a hotmix surface, window down at 40Km/h and coasting (anymore that this and I cannot hear anything for the wind noise :D) you can hear the rear tyres, but next to nothing from the fronts.
The Precedas are a really nice tyre and have a very high level of grip. I have to replace my front struts (hopefully this week if the rears arrive) to tell about their on the limit grip (in the testing of the rears I still had the the Pirelli Azzimetricos on the front and they were shot therefore no real comparison can be made).

Once I have the new struts and shocks in I will be heading out to a trackday again to see what the Michelin Front/ Dunlop Rear combination is like.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either the Dunlops or the Michelins. The Michelins are much more quiet ride, the Dunlops are a little noisier but with the level of sound deadening and insulation properties of the cars you will probably be had pressed to to really pick it unless you are constantly listening for it.

It probably comes down to brand and how many sheckles you would like to outlay the Dunlops will be cheaper, but not by much.

Like Zeuk mentioned, make sure you check your tyre placard and have the same or higher speed and load rated tyres fitted.

Good luck and I hope this has been helpful

P.S. the rears in the sig pic are the Dunlops.

genphreak
11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Heyyy

Nice one mate, thanks for your coments. I didn't even know they were run-flats.... LOL no wonder they are expensive.

I'm having trouble going past the base Contis at $220- run flats are noisier and heavier I believe, I don't mind changing a tyre much and the safety aspect doesn't appeal enough.

I am told advisdely that speed ratings are not a worry for the authorities or the insurance companies, apparently they are now forced to assume people are not exceeding the tyres operational limits as the law prevents driving fast enough to do that... though I am sure it'd be possible to find circumstances to test this ;)

I reckon if anything that is standard fitment on e39 or e46 is a good move.

Still not sure what to do... have to buy a pair soon, I just know I don't want any more shitty tyres.

ps, Great sig pic! That's a 'seriously haulin' ass shot!

Boom n Zoom
11-18-2006, 04:28 AM
ps, Great sig pic! That's a seriously haulin' ass!

Thanks mate! Sorry I didn't go ahead with getting you to do one up for me, I ended up with a bit of time and a new program and this was the result for a first try. I'm reasonably happy with it.

Now onto the tyre choices:

Have you considered Yokohama at all?
Not sure on the pricing but they do make some really great tyres.

Have a look at:

These: http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/tyre.aspx?tyreid=66

Or these: http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/tyre.aspx?tyreid=58

I will keep looking around and see what there is about and get back to you.

Cheers!

Zeuk in Oz
11-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks mate! Sorry I didn't go ahead with getting you to do one up for me, I ended up with a bit of time and a new program and this was the result for a first try. I'm reasonably happy with it.

Now onto the tyre choices:

Have you considered Yokohama at all?
Not sure on the pricing but they do make some really great tyres.

Have a look at:

These: http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/tyre.aspx?tyreid=66

Or these: http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/tyre.aspx?tyreid=58

I will keep looking around and see what there is about and get back to you.

Cheers!
The Advan doesn't come in the right size.

My sister has C Drives on her E240T but they haven't really impressed me - probably a bit worse than the Premium Contact 1 tyre IMHO.

Similar price.

Boom n Zoom
11-19-2006, 08:15 PM
The Advan doesn't come in the right size.

My sister has C Drives on her E240T but they haven't really impressed me - probably a bit worse than the Premium Contact 1 tyre IMHO.

Similar price.

Zeuk thanks for that info on the C-Drives, I honestly didn't check correctly on the Advan size listing... had the C-Drive listing open thinking it was the Advan.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Airborne001
12-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Man, I priced Pilots here and they were $89ea mounted and balanced.

markus
12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
500 bucks a tire?! holy ****

Zeuk in Oz
12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
500 bucks a tire?! holy ****
Welcome to the third world ! :D

Paul in NZ
12-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Zeuk have you thought of bridgestones?I have 235 45 17 GIII on mine @ $275 ea.Apart from some tramlining now,nearly gone esp the outside on the fronts i have no complaints