PDA

View Full Version : ATE Caliper piston supplier

BigKriss
11-15-2006, 07:26 AM
I've been told before that they are not avaliable but I'm asking again to see if anyone knows of a supplier.

shogun
11-15-2006, 07:49 AM
check on the ATE homepage , they have online catalogues and also references to local shops
http://www.ate-brakes.com/

shogun
11-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Here is a set incl. the pistons
item 10
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB81&mospid=47352&btnr=34_0363&hg=34&fg=05&hl=3

right side should be

left

FOR VEHICLES WITH
NATIONAL VERSION GERMANY
L801A=YES
BRIDGECALIPER WITHOUT BRAKE PADS LEFT

Is that the part number you have for the complete pistons, Kris?
If you tell me the correct p/n's for the repair kits left and right, I will ask my friend in a BMW shop in Germany if he can deliver to you, he is the parts guy there. See my PM.
I just need the correct part numbers.

BigKriss
11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Yes that is the correct part number but you can see in the diagram in part 10 that the lines do not go to the pistons, they only goto the rubber seals. the pistons are not included :( Thanks Erich.

Here is a set incl. the pistons
item 10
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB81&mospid=47352&btnr=34_0363&hg=34&fg=05&hl=3

right side should be

left

FOR VEHICLES WITH
NATIONAL VERSION GERMANY
L801A=YES
BRIDGECALIPER WITHOUT BRAKE PADS LEFT

Is that the part number you have for the complete pistons, Kris?
If you tell me the correct p/n's for the repair kits left and right, I will ask my friend in a BMW shop in Germany if he can deliver to you, he is the parts guy there. See my PM.
I just need the correct part numbers.

genphreak
11-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey Kriss,

1. Have you seen this site (http://www.wallothnesch.com) in the EU? Maybe they can help.

2. I'd apprach ATE directly if BMW can't help you. Have you called Bill at Alto in North Ryde? He is cranky and so on but he does parts look ups all the time. Give him the the right 750 VIN to cross-reference. If it is available he will find the part you need. But be patient with him, he's much nicer than he actually sounds. Perhaps send him a fax or an email if he has it there- with the pics and parts clearly pointed out.

3. Have you seen this thread (http://www.ate.de/generator/www/com/en/ate/ate/general/home/index_en.html)? Only browse the ATE webcat using IE and allow pop-ups.

Perhaps send ATE an email using HTML links to images hosted online that show them the part you need. Use their part numbers primarily where you can. Add BMW ones for the caliper itself and the part you want- should BMW be able to tell you. Circle the parts in red.

Tell them what BMW said, and say that as the manufacturer you need to ask the question of their engineering team where these parts can be sourced- they have suppliers throughout the world so it really shouldn't be a problem if you can GET THEIR CO-OPERATION... that is your challenge in wrting the email else they will tell you it is NLA or to goto BMW!

BillionPa
11-16-2006, 01:47 AM
front or rear?
are your brakes stock?

shogun
11-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Front, and they are from the E32 750 only used in Germany, 4-pot and bigger.

FOR VEHICLES WITH
NATIONAL VERSION GERMANY
BRIDGECALIPER
------------------
That is what Kris asked:

I purchased some E32 750il 4 piston front calipers a while ago and one of the pistons is pitted about 40% from the bottom. I tried to clean it up but it's pretty bad. I need to replace one of the the 44mm diameter pistons. I purchased the rebuild kits that only came with the rubber seals, but the rebuild kits do not come with the pistons. Where can I purchase one 44mm diameter piston from?

BillionPa
11-16-2006, 02:26 AM
ouch! i may have found stainless steel pistons for an E36 M3, which could possibly be compatible with the front brakes on most E34s, as the repair kit has the same p/n.

as for getting stock pistons, i searched for months to no avail, and that was for ANY pistons of any kind, for any BMW caliper.

other then getting in contact with ATE, my only suggestion would be to have one CNC machined out of stainless steel. if you want it to last long, have it coated in titanium nitride. and if you are doing that, you might as well replace all the 44mm pistons with stainless ones and have them coated.

BigKriss
11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I can't find a supplier of ATE pistons either. I have emailed them twice now to no avail. At worst I can get the piston resleaved, it costs around aud$100, thats what the brake shop told me. All the other pistons are fine, its just one that is fubar. Stoptech sell a 44mm piston that is 1-2mm shorter in height, that costs usd$25, but the owner said it probably won't work.

ouch! i may have found stainless steel pistons for an E36 M3, which could possibly be compatible with the front brakes on most E34s, as the repair kit has the same p/n.

as for getting stock pistons, i searched for months to no avail, and that was for ANY pistons of any kind, for any BMW caliper.

other then getting in contact with ATE, my only suggestion would be to have one CNC machined out of stainless steel. if you want it to last long, have it coated in titanium nitride. and if you are doing that, you might as well replace all the 44mm pistons with stainless ones and have them coated.

shogun
11-16-2006, 09:10 AM

That is probably the easiest. Same was proposed on the German E32 board on the link I gave you, Kris.

BigKriss
11-16-2006, 09:15 AM
was it? I didn't read that but thankyou Erich. The only thing I don't like about this is that I read about this in another forum, was that it takes a long time to do. Around 3 hours at aud$60 per hour for labour + aud$40 for materials. But I don't know from experience.

That is probably the easiest. Same was proposed on the German E32 board on the link I gave you, Kris.