PDA

View Full Version : How to remove front seat ???

peter7907
11-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Anybody know how to remove front driver seat.

There is no power to the switches?? I have found links on how to, but my dilemma is that I cannot move the seat forward or backwards.

I think the problem is relay module and not the switches??

Help!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
try to jump power to the seat from under the rear seat to get access to the two bolts at the rear of the seat rail.

peter7907
11-14-2006, 08:29 PM
try to jump power to the seat from under the rear seat to get access to the two bolts at the rear of the seat rail.

That sounds great....can you give me more detail.

peter7907
11-14-2006, 08:35 PM

Do you mean..... from the rear seat where the battery is located??

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
has the power control for the seats etc.

You'll need a wiring diagram, or there are afew guys here that know this stuff by heart and may start to post.

shogun
11-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Just pull out the drive cable from the motor. Put a long screwdriver in that motor socket and turn it manually so that the seat moves forward till the 2 screws are visible which you want to reach to release the seat.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/seat4.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
the battery you'll see some electrical relays and moduals, check the fuses etc.

It may be that simple.

peter7907
11-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Just pull out the drive cable from the motor. Put a long screwdriver in that motor socket and turn it manually so that the seat moves forward till the 2 screws are visible which you want to reach to release the seat.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/seat4.jpg

thanks.... the seat is in lowest position cannot get hand in?

Kalevera
11-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Tucked under the leading edge of the seat cushion are two (potentially more, depending on how the car is optioned) harness connectors supplying power to two motors. The white harness connector goes to the motor that manipulates seat back recline, the other (may also be white, it's not clear in my mind at the moment, think it's black, though) is height for the back half of the cushion. Get a 12v battery on it to easily raise the back of the seat. While you're at it, put power on the motor living halfway between the front and rear of the seat base to move the assembly forward/backward. If these operations work, it doesn't make much sense to remove the seat, because the problem is 95% likely to not be in the seat itself. It is unlikely but not impossible that these two motors won't work, in which case remove the cables and use a power drill to move the seat, side by side.

peter7907
11-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Tucked under the leading edge of the seat cushion are two (potentially more, depending on how the car is optioned) harness connectors supplying power to two motors. The white harness connector goes to the motor that manipulates seat back recline, the other (may also be white, it's not clear in my mind at the moment, think it's black, though) is height for the back half of the cushion. Get a 12v battery on it to easily raise the back of the seat. While you're at it, put power on the motor living halfway between the front and rear of the seat base to move the assembly forward/backward. If these operations work, it doesn't make much sense to remove the seat, because the problem is 95% likely to not be in the seat itself. It is unlikely but not impossible that these two motors won't work, in which case remove the cables and use a power drill to move the seat, side by side.

Very good guys .....pleasently suprised by everyones quick response.
thank you very much. I will give it a try.

peter7907
11-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Very good guys .....pleasently suprised by everyones quick response.
thank you very much. I will give it a try.

Thanks again. Managed to get the seat out. Definte relay module. Anyone have one for sale ??.

It would have to be one from the driver side seat with a memory switch.

thanks in advance

peter

Robert K
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
If you'll take a close look at the motors that drive the seat, you'll see that the end of the central shaft of each motor has a square shaped indentation in it. In one of the little nut driver/ratchet sets I have that has flat head screwdriver head, phillips heads, torx and allen wrench heads, there is also one that has a square end on it. That plugs into the end of the motors. Once you've got it in the motor, use the nut driver handle to just crank the motor whichever direction you need to access the bolts and stuff.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

632 Regal
11-15-2006, 10:45 PM
sure its the power and not that the cables shortened?

There is quite a few cars being parted, check and post a want ad in the classifieds.

peter7907
11-16-2006, 01:21 AM
If you'll take a close look at the motors that drive the seat, you'll see that the end of the central shaft of each motor has a square shaped indentation in it. In one of the little nut driver/ratchet sets I have that has flat head screwdriver head, phillips heads, torx and allen wrench heads, there is also one that has a square end on it. That plugs into the end of the motors. Once you've got it in the motor, use the nut driver handle to just crank the motor whichever direction you need to access the bolts and stuff.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Thanks Robert in taking the time to post.

peter7907
11-16-2006, 01:23 AM
sure its the power and not that the cables shortened?

There is quite a few cars being parted, check and post a want ad in the classifieds.

got it...its the relay module. Thanks