PDA

View Full Version : Question: Steering box adjust direction (E34)?

Homegrown
11-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Hello:
My steering response has gone to pot and I have been trying the various accepted techniques of 'fixing'. Another local E34 fellow said that he believes that tightening the hex nut on top of the steering gear box is counter clockwise. The wonderful write up on the E34 page doesnt indicate direction. Before messing up the gearbox further...does anyone know whether the direction to tighten is clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks!
/Kevin
1992 E34 (M50) w/ 90k miles.

31Hertz
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM
make reference marks or a drawing of where the center screw is pointing at beginning and along the way... loosen the nut counter-clockwise (don't remove) / tighten the screw clockwise 15° / tighten nut clockwise; repeat if necessary. At least that is the way the E28 was.

Homegrown
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
make reference marks or a drawing of where the center screw is pointing at beginning and along the way... loosen the nut counter-clockwise (don't remove) / tighten the screw clockwise 15° / tighten nut clockwise; repeat if necessary. At least that is the way the E28 was.

Thanks. That is what I had done, but there was no improvement in steering response. I thought perhaps I had simply 'untightened' by turning clockwise, but you suggest my effort was correct. Darn, now I'll have to try to install that used gearbox I bought...

Homegrown
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks. That is what I had done, but there was no improvement in steering response. I thought perhaps I had simply 'untightened' by turning clockwise, but you suggest my effort was correct. Darn, now I'll have to try to install that used gearbox I bought...

Robert K
11-14-2006, 03:52 PM
The large hex nut simply locks the middle screw, which is how the adjustment is made. Typically, you have to use a metric allen wrench for the middle adjustment screw. Put the allen wrench in and note the direction is is pointing. While holding it stationary, loosen the locknut. Now you will be able to turn the middle screw, which will adjust the lash. You turn it in (clockwise) to tighten and out to loosen. Most people will suggest making minor adjustments and then test driving. After you've made your initial adjustment, hold the position of the center screw with the allen wrench and then tighten the locknut down against the steering box housing. That will lock the center screw into position. Typically, if you adjust the center screw down too tight, the steering wheel will not want to center itself after making a turn. I hope this info helps.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

BillionPa
11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
i think its recommeneded to have the steering wheel turned to the side when doing this, and then trying to turn the wheels while the column is unlocked to feel the slack. the reason to have the wheels turned is that there is extra slack at the center which can cause an accidental overtighten.