PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a reman head for cheap

Jameseypoo
11-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Some of you may remember my post a while ago about the e34 I bought off ebay about a month ago with cooling issues. It turns out it has a cracked head and I'm looking for a place to get a remanufactured head for as cheap as possible. Also, if you now of a place to get a windshield too that would be great. I've tried the junkyards around here, but none of them seem to have anything that works. Thanks.

Dave M
11-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Might be good to know what engine the head is for and where you live.

Too bad its bust

Dave M

Jameseypoo
11-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Might be good to know what engine the head is for and where you live.

Too bad its bust

Dave M

Sorry, it's a 1992 525i E34 (m50) Also, are there any more powerful engines that would be a direct swap out with it?

Dave M
11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
I had a hunch. The M50 is a crack whore. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of us have had the M50 head fail after overheating. Out of interest, was the crack at cylinder #5?

In terms of swapping in a different engine, I'm not entirely sure what other engines will bolt directly to your tranny (not sure wheter you're auto or manual) and give you the least grief with respect to wiring harness/ecu etc.. The M52 (2.8l e39?) might work. Someone else will know for sure.

Otherwise, go for an M70 swap. Its like having two M50s :)

Dave M
11-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Dude (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27694) is selling a head casting (head without valve train) in the swap meet.

As a used head should be torn down to pressure check, it might be a good choice dependant on $$. Have the machine shop swap in your bits and away you go.........

Jameseypoo
11-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I sent him a message. Is a new head casting all that I would need if I have a crack in the head? Sorry, I'm still learning when it comes to engines.

BillionPa
11-14-2006, 03:49 PM
would an S52 bolt in? that would be pretty fricken sweet.

BimmerMeUp
11-14-2006, 05:19 PM
would an S52 bolt in? that would be pretty fricken sweet.
It'll go in, but it's not a bolt in, especially when it comes to a '92. 93' and on are closer to being bolt in, but still need some things done to make it go.

Here's a link to gtopaul's post on putting an S52 in his '92 touring:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22629

PS: My '92 M50 has been puffing a little steam after warming up. Looks like I might be pullling a head pretty soon.

Dave M
11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks, I sent him a message. Is a new head casting all that I would need if I have a crack in the head? Sorry, I'm still learning when it comes to engines.

Yes, the 'casting' is the aluminum body of the head with all moving parts removed, and will solve your problem if all you've done is cracked the head. Make sure you verify the head is from a non-vanos engine (assuming yours is). All your bits will have to be removed and installed into the 'new' casting. This is no more work than a normal head re-furbish as all your bits would neeed to come out for the pressure test anyway. Make sure you get new valve stem seals so they can be installed by the shop. You'll likely be purchasing a head gasket kit, which comes with these.

A good machine shop which has worked on these heads before is a bonus. At least find on that works on euro aluminum heads regularly.

Let us know what you choose to do.

Dave M

BlueM60
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
I also went through this search with an e36 I bought with the same engine. I found that about the best deal I could find on a head was about 700 bucks. I found complete engines with failry low mileage for 900$. In the end , its really worth it to just source a long block with failry low mileage and some kind of warantee than put a head back on a block that you know has been overheated. Just my 02.

-Ben

Jameseypoo
11-15-2006, 02:49 PM
My shop said that they found a used head thats in good shape for $800 so Iwent ahead and authorized them to use that to fix it. They are also putting on a new water pump (metal, not plastic blades), tstat, fan clutch, intake hoses, new battery, and head gasket set. Fun fun... hopefully nothing else major goes wrong with it anytime soon.