PDA

View Full Version : BAD Fuel-smell, no leaks at injectors... Any ideas?

shrike071
11-14-2006, 09:57 AM
93 525iT. STRONG fuel smell coming in through the vents. Got out and checked all the rubber lines on the rail - seems that they are all new and leak-free. Previous owner must have replaced them. No puddles under the car or in the bay. Kept using my nose to find the source and the only place I could really smell it was up front, by the air filter and the charcoal canister. The car has 160k on it so I am kinda thinking that the canister may be in need of replacement.

Am I on the right track here or is there something else I should check?

Mike-AZ
11-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Check your fuel pressure regulator. When mine went bad on my 540i, it smelled like gas in the car.

brick8
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Check around the gas tank. My e28 535i had all kinds of leaks in the filler region.

BillionPa
11-14-2006, 03:41 PM
there are a lot of rubber hoses that carry fuel or fuel vapors, and after 13 years they tend to disintegrate.

i would just replace them all, even if they arent the culprit, because its good preventative maintainence.

check the FPR, as when they leak, they leak good (all that pump pressure!) and also check the evap charcoal canister, as thats where my fuel smell was coming from.