PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump replacement

KenB
11-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Car died Friday night after coming out of a resturant with GF and food to go. We didn't.

Called a friend for rescue and a towtruck ($75). I was NOT in an area I would leave my car overnight. Mechanic looked at it to diagnose it the next day. It started working again. "we can't tell you what's wrong if it's not broke." Our "guess" is fuel pump, it's "around" $500. That will be $43 to guess your problem or your weight, wait...

Research here told me relay or fuel pump. When the problem came up again the next day, I hit the access panel in the trunk a few times with a 2x4. Worked like a charm. Diagnosis: fuel pump.

I just ordered a new fuel pump from BMA. I've read the directions from Bruno's site and also the linked directions from there, hence some confusion.

One set "recommends" a new gasket for the sending unit, the other 5 new hose clamps and fuel filter. There is also mention of 2 different pumps that COULD be installed.

The dealer was a HUGE (read: sarcasm) help when I called for info to try to determine what pump I needed. Not only could they NOT tell me who makes the pump (Bosch AFAIK) they COULD NOT give me a part number over the phone. (WTF! Terrorists might be listening?) Had a pump in stock for $341.00 - should we set it aside for you? Uh, NO THANKS! Got it from BMA for $199 shipped! I'm counting on Yves expertise to send me the correct one.

Are there any tips, suggestions or "MUST DO" items I should know about before I take the pump out? ie: gaskets, clamps, hoses, clips, etc. (crap that's gonna break and really piss me off)?

This is my first time on this so I would like to have whatever I may need before I'm immobilized. I would like to do this right the first time. The car's running so tomorrow I can get stuff while I wait for the parts from BMA to arrive. (It's also been raining like NOAH tomorrow around here for the last 2 days)

My fuel filter was just changed within the last 6 months. I ordered a fuel pump relay ($6) also just to have one if needed. (Also a 3 pack of oil filters for $15).

Thanks in advance.

Rus
11-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Here's a list of what I would change (and have changed):
1) New hose clamps for all connections you touch
2) New gasket for the opening in the tank (the same as the fuel sender gasket I persume)
3) New FUEL INJECTION hose (if you get the low pressure hose, it will leak...ask me how I know) Get more hose than you think you need because the old dry hoses going to the pump may leak upon reinstallation and require replacement (mine blew at the fuel filter end).

That's all I can think of. HTH

KenB
11-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Here's a list of what I would change (and have changed):
1) New hose clamps for all connections you touch
2) New gasket for the opening in the tank (the same as the fuel sender gasket I persume)
3) New FUEL INJECTION hose (if you get the low pressure hose, it will leak...ask me how I know) Get more hose than you think you need because the old dry hoses going to the pump may leak upon reinstallation and require replacement (mine blew at the fuel filter end).

That's all I can think of. HTH

Thanks for the quick reply. How much hose should I get (approx length) how many clamps?

I know all about the right fuel line stuff, :D (ask me how I know, clue: e30=toast):(

Rus
11-13-2006, 05:18 PM
To replace every piece of hose on the car it takes about 10 feet. To do just the rear lines I think you could get away with five or so. Your thread reminded me that I should probably replace the hoses in the tank with the correct stuff (even though inside the tank they don't pose such a problem as leaking hose on the intake manifold (gulp)).

Jr ///M5
11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Here Ken, this should help you...

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/FuelPump.htm

Squeeze the ears at the top of the plastic pump housing to release the clips and gently lift it up and out of the tank well. It might take a little manuvering to clear the opening.

New hose inside the tank isn't necessary, but you will need new hose clamps, try to use BMW type clamps, the others will work but tend to leak easier because of unequal pressure around the hose.

Work in a ventilated area with a friend holding a flashlight, not a troublelight.

Hope this helps, good luck.

JR

KenB
11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
JR,

Thanks for the link, I already had it bookmarked along with the additional set of instructions linked at the bottom of that page.

As per Russ' suggestion, I will pick up some fuel line just in case, I will also get some BMW type hose clamps to replace the ones I will need per your suggestion.

If the gasket to the sender unit is available I should pick up one of those too. I'm assuming the pump does NOT come with any.

I know I'm being paranoid about this but I have previously watched my e30 burn because of someone else's shoddy work, since then I try to do things myself if possible. I'm not the best but I can try to make sure I have as much info as possible.

Thanks for your input.

Jr ///M5
11-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Don't sweat it Ken, it's really a simple operation. Just keep focused on what you're doing without interruption (phone ringing, wife badgering, kids kidding)

It's much easier with the "third" hand though, that's where the 6 pack comes in ;), afterwards, Ken, afterwards..:D

Milkboot
11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah, i was intimidated by taking my pump out this weekend, but Snakeyes forced me :P [http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27701] That is what i found out :P but its so easy, i think i will have a harder time changing my fan clutch! just remember to wear a mask or somthing for the fumes from the gas... i still have a bad headache.. OH! and gloves! [nitril so they dont melt when the gas comes incontact wit them ;)]