PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have A Huge Problem?!?!?!

BMW4LIFE
11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
so i was washing my car today and decided to do a a quick check up...i noticed a knocking in the engine area...

after a bunch of random tests i though it was a spark plug problem due to the fact that i just changed the plugs and the noise just started...

when i pulled the wires out i noticed that there is a little bit of oil where the plugs layed (while the plugs where still in)

is this a huge problem that i need to fix right away? what can i do?

dacoyote
11-13-2006, 03:58 PM
You need to replace the Value cover gasket... it's easy to do...

Do it now... or else you may burn out the coils or the computer

colo525i
11-13-2006, 03:59 PM
You need to change the valve cover gasket, it is leaking. not a hard job you just have to pull all the coil packs. The gasket comes as 3 pieces, 2 surround the spark plug holes, the other goes around the outside of the valve cover. As for the noise, make sure the plugs are tight when you change the valve cover gasket to be sure that isn't the problem. If that doesn't get rid of the noise, see if you can narrow it down to a specific place.

fujioko
11-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Were you able to locate the knocking sound? Perhaps a spark plug is loose, thus causing the noise and also allowing a bit of oil to get in to spark plug area.

BMW4LIFE
11-13-2006, 08:48 PM
so i retightened all the plugs and when i went to tighten the wires to the block i noticed that one treat that is suppose to be in the block had come out so the 2nd plug from the fire wall has only one screw that has it held down...i drove in for a mile or two and noticed the noise was gone...

now as far as the gaskets go...whats the labor on that? i have the bently book...could i do it in less than a day ( i have decent mechanic experiance but the most advanced thing i have ever done are my brakes) =/

thanks !

///Metal
11-13-2006, 09:09 PM
you can do it in a couple of hours.

angrypancake
11-13-2006, 11:40 PM
valve cover gasket? 30 minutes. but then again that was on my 535, with no prior experience. can't speak for the 525.

colo525i
11-14-2006, 12:38 AM
It is an easy job, I did mine for the first time in under 2 hours, most of the time was waiting for the engine to cool to to a temp where i could handle the coil packs.