PDA

View Full Version : 535is engine noise..

Jake Casson
11-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Its sounds like this on idle, changed flywheels, clutch, rebuilt top end, new gearbox etc to no avail. With air con on its NOT as bad.

Big ends? What do you think?

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/535/?action=view&current=DSCN1580.flv

And its been like it for about 4 years and 30000 miles, not much worst.

Derek A.
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Loose Harmonic Balancer ? Like a cracked keyway?

How does it run ?

Jake Casson
11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Runs perfect apart from this only on idle, once over 1000rpm its then smoother than my chat up lines and thats smooth. Def bottom end ive decided now, worst when engine is hot.

Never heard of a harmonic balancer...

mamilapon
11-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Have you got a mechanic's stetoscope?That should pretty well point out the source of the rattle.Good luck!

Jake Casson
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
So many people have looked at it, yes its in the bottom end.

Think its either I put up with it or change the block (how long would that take?). Cant just change the engine as top end had a fortune spent on rebuild with performance cam, ported and polished etc etc.

JerseySi
11-13-2006, 04:08 PM
My blue one makes almost exactly the same noise - it's the water pump on mine though..
You can feel it knocking through the block, and it sounds like bottom end too..

Although I'd have thought if you've had a head rebuild, you'll know your water pump is good!
Could be one of the crank bearings rumbling around in there?
If it's been like it for 4 years wihtout really getting worse, I'd take my time and source a decent bottom end for it - maybe even build a 'decent' one up..
Swapping it over should'nt take much longer than a straight engine swap - you just have to swap the head over to your new block & drop it all back in..
Day's work really, including tea breaks etc ;) - although garages over here either a) wouldn't wana know or b) would charge a fortune & have the car a week at least :s

P.s. - I want your wheels! :D

Derek A.
11-13-2006, 06:08 PM
take off all your belts - see if noise is still there.

Harmonic balancer is pressed on the nose of the crank.

Paul in NZ
11-13-2006, 11:59 PM
surely if it was a big end,it wouldnt stay the same for thirty thousand miles!

TC535i
11-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Sounds very similar to my 220,000 mile 535i... interested in what you find out.

Alexlind123
11-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Ö_o I would be scared of wrecking something by driving it like that.

genphreak
11-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Sounds like the oil pump or the timing chain tensioner.

When you did the head, how far down did you go before you stopped replacing parts inside the timing cover at the front of the motor? It could be that the tensioner guide has exploded / was not replaced properly. It is advisable to do the oil pump and all its drive components (as well as the cam timing sprockets and chain & guide) on any motor above 140k miles if you want to be sure it will last.

we_call_him_doher
11-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Ditto, mine sounds like that too, albeit not quite that much. Interested to see what everyone says.

Barry
11-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Yup,got the same on mine...Ive given up looking for the cause as its not getting worse..Interesting...........

Claude
11-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Its sounds like this on idle, changed flywheels, clutch, rebuilt top end, new gearbox etc to no avail. With air con on its NOT as bad.

Big ends? What do you think?

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/535/?action=view&current=DSCN1580.flv

And its been like it for about 4 years and 30000 miles, not much worst.

Very interesting video. I recognize that noise, mine generate exactly the same since i've got it 4 years ago, i've got now 278000 km (174000 miles) and this "diesel like" noise is still there not worse not less.

It's not pleasant at all when idling, but when the car is running on the road this knocking noise seems to disappear, engine runs smoothly, it's performant and pleasant to drive.

Oil changed every 5000km and no oil consumption. Valves adjusted every 24000km and needs very small retouch. Water pump and head gasket was replaced few km before i bought it so i did not suspect water pump 4 years ago and now, and anyway the noise is not coming from there.

Mine is manual.

I asked many time to BMW mecanics what could be the cause of this knocking noise, i've three different type of answers:

1) It's the effect of some loose that develops overtime in the dual mass flywheel, this brings gears in the transmission to generate noise (unless you declutch), it brings also the engine to generate knocking noise (the one we hear). The dual mass f.w that normally acts as a damper no longer does it's job. And they adds: If you can live with this noise, this will not generate other problem, solution would be to replace the dual mass flywheel, it's too costly, it does not worthwhile.

2) Pistons are long type in the M30 and they kind of plays (on the side) in the cylinder sleeves, that is the source of this knocking noise.

3) Timing chain tensioner broken or not properly adjusted.

Up to now i stick personaly to the first explanation, but i am not sure it's the proper answer and it still bothers me not to know for sure what's the real cause of this goddam rattle noise !

Qube
11-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I get that noise but very slightly. If I declutch, even for a quick second, it goes away and never comes back until much later or next day. Only happens on fresh starts. Once it's gone, it's gone for duration it's running.

BigTed00
11-14-2006, 03:44 PM
1) It's the effect of some loose that develops overtime in the dual mass flywheel, this brings gears in the transmission to generate noise (unless you declutch), it brings also the engine to generate knocking noise (the one we hear). The dual mass f.w that normally acts as a damper no longer does it's job. And they adds: If you can live with this noise, this will not generate other problem, solution would be to replace the dual mass flywheel, it's too costly, it does not worthwhile.

this is interesting. I have just below 190k miles on my 535i, but I have never heard that sound. however my car does show symptoms of grinding while in gear (and not when clutch it in), but nowhere near that kind of engine noise.

mamilapon
11-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm with you mate. Jake do an oil pressure check.After that pull the rocker cover off and check for loose oil spray bar bolts.After that pull the timing cover off and check the chain and tensioner.