View Full Version : Video Clip: Rate/Analyze My 530i Cold Start Up

Fetch
11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Here's a cold start clip of me starting my 530i
-Has been sitting for 1 week
-Temp just above freezing
-no gas pedal at any point
-Clutch in whole time

I'm pleased with how it started after sitting 1 week & at that temperature, I was expecting the really rough idle it has had before.

So why does it idle too low for a few sec, then spring up a little too high, before getting to 1,000 rpm?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys, thought you might enjoy the video anyway, I know I like getting a hold of any e34 media I can! lol

3.7mb video clip (http://www.shutan.net/videos/530icoldstart.avi)
Yes I know the quality is weak.....Yes I should have cracked the window open or something....sorry turn the volume up if you have to? :)

632 Regal
11-13-2006, 10:17 AM
i think when it drops the idle is from oil pressure, then the DME tells it that it needs to raise the rpms.

Fetch
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
i think when it drops the idle is from oil pressure, then the DME tells it that it needs to raise the rpms.

ah, so the lifters are still filling up with oil thus rough running, then the computer trys to get the idle up, which really fills the lifters & then all is well?

632 Regal
11-13-2006, 11:21 AM
im thinking more along the lines of the oil pumps resistance with cold thick oil.

ah, so the lifters are still filling up with oil thus rough running, then the computer trys to get the idle up, which really fills the lifters & then all is well?