PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get slight overspray off?

Jehu
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
A huh? I had a clever witty remark all written out and its gone? http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3548/johnonbreakgw4.jpg

Ross
11-12-2006, 05:29 PM
lacquer thinner, unless you have fresh paint

Jehu
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
lacquer thinner, unless you have fresh paint

Wow.. thanks ,no its eleven year old original Oxfordgrüen 324

Jr ///M5
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Depends on what you're trying to get the overspray off. If it's your paintwork, use a claybar kit. If it's your windshield, you'll have to determine what the paint was thinned with, either reducer or laquer thinner, and use that to remove the overspray.

Jehu
11-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Depends on what you're trying to get the overspray off. If it's your paintwork, use a claybar kit. If it's your windshield, you'll have to determine what the paint was thinned with, either reducer or laquer thinner, and use that to remove the overspray.

Off my Paint on the roof.. Thanks. I had lost hope and consigned myself to loooking like i drove under Mt. Pinatubo..

Jr ///M5
11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Go to your local autoparts store (not stoned) and buy a claybar kit. Mothers makes a good one.

Wash the car throughly, use a potato chip size piece of the clay and plenty of the lubricant that comes in the kit. Rub in the same direction and if you drop the clay, throw it away. You will see the embedded dirt that was in your paint load up on the clay. Replace the clay when it becomes contaminated. Wash the residue off of the car and dry it throughly. Polish it with your favorite polish and after it's all shiny, wax it to protect it. You won't believe how slick the finish will be. Bugs will fall to their death after alighting on your car.

Macv
11-12-2006, 05:56 PM
2nd the clay. A full treatment fixes anything.

winfred
11-12-2006, 06:38 PM
yep clay kicks ass, it's a step beyond a polishing but a step under a severe compounding, it's almost impossible to hurt paint with clay

Jr ///M5
11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
If you try to buff the panel without removing the debris with a claybar, you'll end up with deep swirls that you cannot get out. Some waxes will cover up the swirls by using fillers, but the swirls will always return. That's why you polish using a Porter Cable and pure polish after using the claybar. It helps to level the surface again making it more reflective and brings back that "wet" look. The wax helps to magnify the shine a little, but is more of a protective barrier than anything else.

632 Regal
11-12-2006, 07:09 PM
plain mineral spirates man, wont damage the paint at all and will soften the fresher over spray enough to melt away into a rag. How did I figure this out? LOL

I never tried the claybar, sounds beyond my patience level.

winfred
11-12-2006, 07:24 PM
it's easy, wash/dry car, squirt lube on a couple foot area, rub with flattened wad of clay (you will feel when it goes smooth and time to move on), squish up and reflatten wad of clay every once in a while to change the surface, wash/dry/buff with real light compound, wax, put on shades and drive into sunlight

takes a half day or so when not totally busting ass

I never tried the claybar, sounds beyond my patience level.

632 Regal
11-12-2006, 07:33 PM
what could I do in half a day... the results I saw are great but man, id rather break out the wheel and take the chance of burning the paint up in half an hour and cleanup another half hour.

takes a half day or so when not totally busting ass

E34 530
11-12-2006, 08:47 PM
wetsanding

winfred
11-12-2006, 09:55 PM
clay does a better job and it ain't like ya gotta do it every weekend, do it keep it waxed and it will last a good long while, years

what could I do in half a day... the results I saw are great but man, id rather break out the wheel and take the chance of burning the paint up in half an hour and cleanup another half hour.

hatched91
11-12-2006, 11:38 PM
i had the same problem, i wet sanded with 2000 grit where it was really bad(this was farm impliment paint, the super nasty stuff), and then used some 3m quick cut compound, then some hand polish and wax. it looked great!