PDA

View Full Version : Bentley warning on brake flush...

zman-95-540i
11-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I am changing out my pads and rotors this weekend. I noticed in the Bentley they say that if you have ASC+T you should not flush the brake fluid. Anybody know what this is about? I was planning on doing the flush tomorrow.

Thanks.

BillionPa
11-11-2006, 01:03 PM
meh.

i dunno whats up with that either, but i have bled my brakes a couple of times using speed bleeders and they work splendidly!

i really would like to know the reason they say that though.

mikell
11-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Bump - anyone know what the deal is here? Is it realy taboo to flush in the usual way in a car with ASC+T? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ross
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I have no clue why this would be verboten. Perhaps there is a warning about pressure bleeding? If you are worried just suck out the resevoir contents with a turkey baster, refill the resevoir and gravity bleed the system.

Ross
11-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Just looked at Bentleys, the caveat is not to exceed 2 bar pressure so as not to damage the resevoir. Popping the resevoir off the master could happen with enough pressure as the o-ring seal never sees pressure in normal use.

BillionPa
11-13-2006, 12:10 AM
so, using speed bleeders or vacuum bleeding it is the correct course?

zman-95-540i
11-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Ross - there is a separate warning on the page before the pressure warning. It is specific to cars with ASC+T. I'll post the warning tonight when I get home.

Bill R.
11-13-2006, 10:13 AM
as long as the only changes in the system have been made downstream from the abs asc+t control module then you bleed it in the normal fashion of a bmw with abs. Meaning if you have only changed the calipers and nothing upstream from the abs module then you bleed in the conventional manner which is a minimum of 12 strokes from each bleeder screw according to bmw.
So for a normal brake flush then you bleed asc+t conventionally. However if you do something stupid like pump all the fluid out and introduce air then you have to use a special procedure for asc+t, which i have also posted before in the past many times.

And yes, Bentely's does publish a special warning about this, but they typically don't cover things that they are the least bit uncertain about.

Bump - anyone know what the deal is here? Is it realy taboo to flush in the usual way in a car with ASC+T? Inquiring minds want to know.