PDA

View Full Version : bmw 518 alarm

nelson22
11-11-2006, 07:51 AM
hi my 518 has an alarm on it but it is not working i have not got a fob for it but when i got the car i was given a small key is this any thing to do with the alarm also can anyone tell me where the on/off is for it i belive it is a original fitted one i have seen on ebay key fobs will these work with mine and if so how thanks

DaveVoorhis
11-11-2006, 09:11 AM
The small key probably turns the alarm on and off. Check under the bonnet -- you should see a dome-type horn in a rectangular box, usually just in front of the right-hand strut mount. There's a round plastic cap covering the key slot.

As for the fob, I'm looking for one myself. Mine (and possibly yours) is not the style where a chip is temporarily moved from the alarm unit to the fob to program it. It uses a removable module on the alarm controller (look under the rear seat) that is coded to the fob. As I understand it, they are sold as a unit.

Somewhere out there is a vast stockpile of fobs -- there must be, because they never seem to come with the cars. :(

nelson22
11-11-2006, 09:28 AM
cheers pal will check it out if i find anything out about the fob will let you know

nelson22
11-11-2006, 11:02 AM
had a good look round on both struts cannot find anything for key to fit in

DaveVoorhis
11-12-2006, 07:57 AM
had a good look round on both struts cannot find anything for key to fit in
When I get home tonight I'll upload a picture of what you should be looking for.