PDA

View Full Version : where is the coolant bleeder screw

tazman
11-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi ... yes I know its a dum question.. but for the life of me I can't seems to find the bleeder screw of my e34. Can anyone be kind enough to post a pic of the bleeder screw that is supposed to be beside the expansion tank and also the one on top of the thermostat. thnx

borderchris
11-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Hi there... unless I'm nuts, your system is self-bleeding. Only the 535i needs a methodical hand-bleed, right guys?

Chris

kts96
11-11-2006, 02:34 AM
To the right of the expansion tank cover

NovceGuru
11-11-2006, 02:44 AM
And check out http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Engine/Coolant%20replacement.htm

Dave M
11-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi there... unless I'm nuts, your system is self-bleeding. Only the 535i needs a methodical hand-bleed, right guys?

Chris

Yes, the M50 does require bleeding. I don't recall whether Bruno's site mentions it, but raising the front of the vehicle (jack stands, ramps etc.) does help. Try to get as much coolant into the block/head through the top rad hose as possible with the car raised, then re-attach the hose and fire it up (car warm, heater on full, resevoir full, bleed screw cracked a bit). Get the revs up to ~2000, watch the level drop, keep filling, and you might be good to go. Its all about filling the system as much as possible.

Dave M