PDA

View Full Version : Wrong trans filter and one more question

Traian
11-10-2006, 09:15 PM
A few months ago I took my car into a BMW indy here in Toronto to replace the transmission fluid, gasket and filter, (all with factory stuff from the dealer) because it was making that funny whirring noise, that both people on this board and Kirt Koeller suggested is due to a non-OEM filter/gasket. This was a solid $425 oil change, and the whirring is back with a vengeance. I didn't drive the car for about four months after that, but now for the last 2 months I have been driving it, and that odd noise that occurs on each shift, lasts well into 5th gear, whereas before it would go away by 3rd. Also it is louder. And the shifts are getting very slowly but progressively worse.

Here is my question. I have the receipt for the work the indy did, and one line says 'Trans Filter A5S360R/390R' - which isn't my gearbox. Apparently that's a GM E46 unit or something.... I don't know if this is a typo or not. I have a bit more money now to take it in again to have a look, but I don't know hwere to start. Take it to the same shop again and ask them about the work? It is a 6 month old oil change, but really the car only has 2000km on it since then. Or take it to another shop, and let them empty my wallet haha? I don't know what my first step should be...

Any info or suggestions highly appreciated!

(car is a 11/94 build, 540iA.)\

632 Regal
11-11-2006, 01:33 PM
whoever does it should be able to save the fluid that is in there, its expensive special fluid. I would get the correct oem filter yourself and then go to the original shop that did the work and see if they can swap it out for a minimal charge. If not then go to another place and have it swapped out.

Traian
11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Ok thanks, I will go back to them, I hope they don't get defensive about going back to them after all this time. If they can take a look at the filter without having to pour in all new fluid that helps. I just want it to sound and work well again.

Have a new problem now: tried to flush the coolant, but the head of the plastic drain plug on the radiator broke off before I could budge it. Didn't even try to go for the block plugs after that - I want to get all the coolant out and replace it with the BMW stuff. i guess I'll ask them to extract that too somehow...if possible. Hopefully possible or I'm screwed...

6-speed looking mighty tempting right now ;)

Kalevera
11-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Last spring I was doing a final check on a customer's E39 528 after test driving it. He'd just flown in and was tired/wanted to go home. I'd just rebuilt the cooling system. I popped the bleed screw and then closed it to have the head break off, which caused an 8 foot geyser of coolant to shoot out of the car. It looked like a scene out of a richard scarry children's book.

Anyway, the remnants of the drain plug will come out with a screw extractor. I've done a lot of them -- it happens all the time. Sometimes it takes a little patience, but it's something you can handle, I'm sure.

In my mind, the shop should assure you that they used the correct filter and followed the SOP for changing the fluid. But given that the trans was making noise beforehand and now exhibits valve body issues, the original noise might just have been a harbinger of failure, and changing the fluid cleaned it enough for wear related clearances to become more apparent.

Traian
11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the reassurance hehe :) Hopefully they'll have some time to squeeze me in tomorrow and look at both things. I kind of figure it must be impossible to have fitted the wrong filter, don't they have different mounting? But it's still odd because I was strongly under the impression that the noise I'm having is characteristic of an aftermarket filter/gasket. If it is a valve body problem I guess I would contact Kirt Koeller for a rebuild, but I'd like someone to tell me first what it is! This indy told me last time that they don't even do reuilds for the 5HP30 - too expensive - they just look for new transmissions :(

632 Regal
11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
the aftermarket trans filters dont seal the filter to the pickup tube which causes air to be sucked and causes the pump noises.

The valve body rebuild can be done yourself, or he can send one already rebuilt with a core charge til he gets it. The valvebody upgrade should be done weather you have problems or not. I dont concider it blind heart surgery and it is do-able even with someone with limited experience...follow the directions.

Basicly, the whirring is simply air sucking in.

Traian
11-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, they checked it out at the shop and apparently they put the right filter in but just marked it incorrectly on the invoice...or something. Anyway, he gave me a part number from their records for what was taken out of stock and installed just so I could confirm it myself (24341422419), which does indeed correspond to a OEM filter for the 5HP30.

I also asked them to check the fluid level while they're at it (auto boxes are like black magic to me haha) and that checked out fine also. Then a young fellow who works there came for a ride, gave it some gas, heard the whirring/whining and said 'it's not the transmission, I don't know what it is, just keep an eye on it.' So now I'm keeping an eye on it...

I think the valve body suggestion is not a bad one at all, besides the noise I am definitely experiencing valve body issues, but no slipping or any other nasties. I will call up and check with another shop and with the trans man about it. I might save up the money and go for a complete kit because I am prone to messing up easy repairs hehe.

Traian
11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Solved the coolant issue too hehe, they took out the little drain plug stub and I flushed the fluid and replaced it with 50/50 water/ blue goodness. What a messy sob that job is! Didn't take pics but if anyone wants any tips let me know! Btw, Jeff, I read your old posts and decided to do what you did and not even bother with the driver's side drain plug (on the block) and it worked well for me as well. I got about 12L out in total, or a bit more.

In my excitement I forgot to look up and figure out the casting number though, so I still don't know if I have Nikasil or Alusil!