PDA

View Full Version : Jacking Procedures

Alexlind123
11-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I have noticed a lot of confusion surrounding the issue of jacking and where and how to do it. I have always jacked from the subframe crossmembers, but i recently read a post saying that this could be harmful to the bushings.

In any case, i think this is a legitimate and useful topic to be discussed, although hopefull i will have access to a lift soon and wont have to worry about it.

So, how do you jack your BMW?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
just before the sub frames.

and always chock the wheels and use jack stands!

these cars are heavy and if they fall on you it will leave a mark.

Ross
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
At the front the crossmember under the motor, rear usually at the diff, sometimes by the dogbone.

bigtisas
11-10-2006, 04:21 PM
On a similar topic, which jack stand do you have? 2, 3 or 4 tons?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-10-2006, 04:24 PM
On a similar topic, which jack stand do you have? 2, 3 or 4 tons?

I think 2 tons, four of them

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
its crazy cuse i have auto at school and we have full lifts, and i like to place the points under the jacking points, but sometime its a little off, no problems yet though

mamilapon
11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
To jack the front, i place the jack at the normal spot you would use to change a front tyre. When its high enough i would place the stand under the chassis rail (with a piece of rubber pad of course) lower the jack on to the stand and do the same for the other side. For the back, i would use the diff and place the stands at the normal jacking spots.

Alexlind123
11-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I would never ever have any use for jacking only one side of the car (and i know know why anyone else would). It is unstable and unsafe and there is never a reason for it. Im only looking for jacking points along the center of the car right now.

Rus
11-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I lift the car using the front crossmember under the engine and the differential at the back. Using 6-ton jack stands with double locks for support (how anyone could consider the wimpy 2-ton stands adequate is beyond me). Just my $.02

mamilapon
11-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Well, you probably didn't understand my post. At the END of the procedure you do end up with the whole front end of the car on stands supported at the chassis rails and the rear end on stands supported at the jacking spots.And it is very stable and safe. The crossmember does not get damaged and there is no risk of the jack contacting the sump in case of a slip.

markus
11-11-2006, 09:21 AM
i use a 3 ton jack with a piece of cardboard between it and jack on the frame just before the front of the car. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. AS for the rear usually under the diff.

Jehu
11-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I would never ever have any use for jacking only one side of the car (and i know know why anyone else would). It is unstable and unsafe and there is never a reason for it. Im only looking for jacking points along the center of the car right now.

So, nobody ever gets a flat in the middle of nowhere?Don't they all have arrors where to fit the tire jack?

Rus
11-11-2006, 12:01 PM
So, nobody ever gets a flat in the middle of nowhere?Don't they all have arrors where to fit the tire jack?

When changing a flat tire you do not need to lift the car as high or support it on a stand. I believe the previous statements by Alexlind123 were in regard to actually lifting the car into the air onto the stands. I also believe that its more safe to lift the car from the center points rather than one side at a time. Should I ever have a flat (knock on wood), I won't have any issues using the factory jack to change the tire (after all I don't need the car 3 feet up in the air for that). Just my $.02