PDA

View Full Version : My car died tonight...Need some advice

NightWatcher
11-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Hello Folks,

Was out tonight with the wife for some early holiday shopping when our car died...We were coming down a hill when all of the sudden our radio started to flash and finally turned off...next, the check engine light and ABS and Brake fluid light came on, followed by the interior lights dimming. so we pulled over, turned off the car...tried to start, but it wouldn't...waited about 5 mins then finally the car started...decided it would be best to get it home (about 20 miles away and LA traffic was at it's busiest). Anyhow, about 5 blocks later, the engine just died...no power what so ever and we were basically coasting down the hill. got my car towed back home and jumped started it...the car started, but the tow guy adviced it might be the alternator as well. going to change the battery tomorrow, but wanted to check here first to see what you guys think...and if you guys suspect more than just the battery. would really appreciate your input...thanks!

NW

PS. it's a 1992 525i E34/M50

Bimmerman
11-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Sounds like the alternator... however please fill in your profile so the guru's here can provide a more accurate answer...

Fetch
11-10-2006, 01:56 AM
It sounds like an alternator to me too

others might know more about the events you experienced though,

Good luck!

Bimmerman
11-10-2006, 02:00 AM
PS. it's a 1992 525i E34/M50
Oops! must have had my eyes closed...

ryan roopnarine
11-10-2006, 02:08 AM
sounds like your alternator died.

NightWatcher
11-10-2006, 02:48 AM
thanks for the tips, guys! i'm wondering what battery do you guys recommend for my 92 e34?

silver-e34
11-10-2006, 05:01 AM
yup definately sounds like your alternator i dont think you will need to replace the battery unless its bad as well but i doubt it, if you are going to replace it yourself fully charge the battery outside the car before running your new alternator.

ryan roopnarine
11-10-2006, 07:19 AM
depends on how hard the battery had to work when the alternator died. if you have a spare vehicle, take it to autozone and have them "check" the battery. if you do need a battery as well, the almost universal choice of this board for value/price/capacity is the autozone duralast group 49d or whichever 49 they currently sell.

NightWatcher
11-12-2006, 02:23 PM
just an update...got a new battery yesterday (duralast group 48 tho...that's what they have listed for my year and model)...tested the alternator and there's no increase in voltage coming from it when the car is running...altho there is proper voltage going to the alternator...special order (bosch 140 amps), so will have to wait 3-5 days...hopefully that will fix my troubles...

nw

Ross
11-12-2006, 05:33 PM
It's probably the voltage regulator, inside the alt. but replaceable and a LOT less than the whole unit.

pawswish
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
You may also want to check the brushes! Mine did the same thing and were worn down to nothing. I took the alternator to a guy who rewinds motors and fixes most anything like that. $15 later including labor and It was fine.