PDA

View Full Version : A new member of the clan with a SLS question

shrike071
11-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Just brought home my first BMW today - a '93 525i touring. 160k, runs like a top, shifts fine, no warning lights, no rust (other than the exhaust...) great body/paint, sunroof works great, headliner sagging... Got it for $3k. Tried like hell to get him down, but couldn't.

I am a complete gearhead, so working on cars is second nature. Anyway - on to the question.... (And I did a search before posting!)

Do all the 525's have the SLS? If not - how do I tell? If so - I am bummed... my rear-pass. shock is leaking and I hear they are hella expensive.

Pic coming soon - I hear that is a requirement around here...

92E34
11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Just look for an airbag at the top of the shock to see if it has SLS.

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-09-2006, 11:26 PM
no not all models had LAD.

Check the power steering reservoir black/brown plastic bottle or metal can type, see if it is imprinted with ATF or CHF 11

if you have plastic ATF = no LAD....metal can CHF11 got LAD

attack eagle
11-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I thought 92's were the last to get it?

You should be able to see accumulators near the rear suspension if you do have SLS.

shrike071
11-10-2006, 08:05 AM
I thought 92's were the last to get it?

You should be able to see accumulators near the rear suspension if you do have SLS.

/sigh. Well - anyone have any used SLS rear shocks laying about? My car has 'em and they're blown

Ross
11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
You can replace with standard and bypass hydro.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-10-2006, 01:49 PM
/sigh. Well - anyone have any used SLS rear shocks laying about? My car has 'em and they're blown

Before you write off the shocks, check the bombs. Failed bombs cause high pressure spikes in the shocks which makes them leak. If your rear suspension feels rock hard and bouncy it's bad bombs. Pretty cheap from BMA - did mine last spring.

attack eagle
11-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Time for an sls delete/lowering kit...

Looks great on my Touring and I think I posted how to get rid of the sls message after you do it on all the forums.