PDA

View Full Version : headlights

632 Regal
11-09-2006, 10:36 PM
are your headlights crappi? I even did the 5005/5006 swap deal, still not good lighting. Mine are so sandblasted I wanted to buy new ones to replace them then the idea of just replacing the lenses came about.

After I remembered the old Winfred trick! (who is Winfred?) I used this on the foglights that came from Germany, didnt want rocks to bust them. After spraying they became clear, IE: no sandblasting.

Get a can of SEM chip guard clear, #39803 I was going to tape the things off and I realized, the car isnt worth the tape to I shot a coat on em...WOW they are clear as glass (imagine!). 30 seconds and 5 bux of clear paint and I can fix about 100 cars worth of headlights and they shouldnt chip more.

the SEM chipgard will hopefully prevent further sandblasting but who cares...I can respray and fill them chips.

Instead of staring at them cloudy lookin things every few minutes (We smoke in the garage instead of the house) and wanting to spend a ton of money or tedious work it's done.

Hope this saves some of you some pain.

zman-95-540i
11-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Jeff, thanks for the tip. I did a search and it is SEM chip guard (not SIM). Couldn't find any locally so I just ordered on-line.

632 Regal
11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
yes SEM...lol

Jeff, thanks for the tip. I did a search and it is SEM chip guard (not SIM). Couldn't find any locally so I just ordered on-line.

31Hertz
11-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Ha! Help arrives just when I need it again!!! My 635's headlights suffer this same problem and need just this solution. It's no wonder I hardly have to post my questions.;)

Bill R.
11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
to get them as clear as possible then coat with the sem to see if it will last longer. Thanks.

yes SEM...lol

KenB
11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Gotta try this...mine are frosted. One fog is new, can't be going around looking cock-eyed now, can we?;)

Alexlind123
11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Mine arent sandblasted or foggy, they are just dim. Maybe we need HIDs.

632 Regal
11-10-2006, 11:12 AM
the SEMs will probably stick better if you dont compound em, you cant see any chips at all with them painted. They seriously look like brand new lenses.

to get them as clear as possible then coat with the sem to see if it will last longer. Thanks.

Qube
11-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Now all that it needs to do is clean the inside of the lenses and reflector at the same time :)

632 Regal
11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
but that means removal :D
Now all that it needs to do is clean the inside of the lenses and reflector at the same time :)

winfred
11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
yea but he may be going over plastic (not sure what those come with, glass or plastic), gotta knock some of the yellow **** off first so you don't seal it in, they the sealer helps keep them from oxidizing or reacting to uv, whatever they do

the SEMs will probably stick better if you dont compound em, you cant see any chips at all with them painted. They seriously look like brand new lenses.

632 Regal
11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
true, but with glass its a no brainer...
yea but he may be going over plastic (not sure what those come with, glass or plastic), gotta knock some of the yellow **** off first so you don't seal it in, they the sealer helps keep them from oxidizing or reacting to uv, whatever they do

take a look at these severly sandblasted headlights now!

http://www.thecitypress.com/850/wheels/lights.jpg

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2006, 07:54 PM
so is this the before or after haha?

632 Regal
11-10-2006, 08:00 PM
thats before, now there so clear you cant see them. just messin, before (no pic) they were almost white looking, no clarity looking inside the lens. The light output as seen tonight looks a LOT better!

there really is a difference if yours are sandblasted...night and day. Its like a plastic protective coating that eliminates all the microchips. As the picture shows, it looks good no?

so is this the before or after haha?

BFEINZIMER
11-11-2006, 03:25 PM
yea they look great, im interested as i just ordered hella euros from germany but i wanna clean them as much as possible before i install them, so you just used the paint and thats or was there other steps included?

Macv
11-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Nice job Jeff. You've got some nasty rust :( oh well, wide grill ftw

Dave M
11-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Nice job Jeff. You've got some nasty rust :( oh well, wide grill ftw

beat me to it (by about 4 hours :) ). Thanks for the tip, I bought some used elipsoids from qube on the cheap, this may help them out.

put some tape on that $hit ;)

Dave M

632 Regal
11-11-2006, 07:04 PM
since its kinda cold here, right after I sprayed a nice wet coat I turned the lights on to warm the paint before it all ran down and dripped off. The trick is to get a nice thin wet coat in 1 try as it dries quick. Be ready with thinner incase you mess it up and you can try again.

yea they look great, im interested as i just ordered hella euros from germany but i wanna clean them as much as possible before i install them, so you just used the paint and thats or was there other steps included?

BFEINZIMER
11-13-2006, 01:01 AM
since its kinda cold here, right after I sprayed a nice wet coat I turned the lights on to warm the paint before it all ran down and dripped off. The trick is to get a nice thin wet coat in 1 try as it dries quick. Be ready with thinner incase you mess it up and you can try again.

haha i love it, considering ive never worked with paint before...on a lighter not (not) when my hellas come its gonna be me and my bently manual haha cuse knowing me, ima remove everything, and try to put the new ones in and say, **** why dont they just plug in

SC David
11-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Do you have an S/C Previa that whistles? Those make me lol.

TC535i
01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Anyone know if SEM Chip Guard is available at Pep Boys/Kragen, Home Depot, etc?

TC535i
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Anybody?

632 Regal
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
call them. I got mine via online. a big rock was no match for the sems, now it's sporting clear shipping tape bandages.

TC535i
01-09-2007, 02:24 PM
call them. I got mine via online. a big rock was no match for the sems, now it's sporting clear shipping tape bandages.
I want to spray SEM, then cover with that clear vinyl tape.

KenB
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Try an Auto Paint supply store...or order online, you can find a seller thru SEM website

http://www.sem.ws/where_to_buy.php

TC535i
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Found a local place, heading over now!

TC535i
01-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Just picked up a can, $15.80 (no tax)

Gonna take a look and maybe spray my headlights tonight, or maybe tomorrow on my lunch break... depends how cold it is when I get home tonite.

Dash01
01-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I've been using and recommending the SEM Chipguard stuff since I first tried it ~4 years ago. I used it on my fog lights and headlights, as well as the black plastic grill. If I ever get the rock chips properly fixed on the hood and leading edges of the fenders and outside mirrors, gonna Chipguard them too.

I also used black (comes in clear and black) on the sandblasted rocker panels, which still look new 40K miles later. I don't see much downside with this stuff, and am planning to use in on my Porsche instead of the plastic film that ultimately cracks and yellows. Chipguard probably comes off with solvent, which would make it 1K times easier to remove than the film stuff when old.

632 Regal
01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
laquor thinner works well when its dry and mineral spirits when you want to start over from massive runs :D

Chipguard probably comes off with solvent, which would make it 1K times easier to remove than the film stuff when old.

TC535i
01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
No runs, but I definitely have texture. It's a bit cold here in CA too, garage is probably in the 50's right now, so it's taking a little longer, I think I may have put it on a bit heavy. No runs, since I set them facing directy up... but a bit of texture. Hopefully it'll settle/smooth, I'll hit em with another coat or two from 2 ft away to try to smooth it out a little more... worst case scenario is some fine grit sandpaper and a little polish... it is a clear-coat paint, after all!

TC535i
01-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Okay, before pictures of the lows and highs.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3455/img1913wp8.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3298/img1916yl7.jpg

632 Regal
01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
fall asleep?

TC535i
01-15-2007, 12:56 AM
fall asleep?
Sorry, should have been clearer.

Headlights are at my parent's place, went down for the weekend. I'll be back down there next weekend, as I need to replace the radiator and waterpump on my 540i... too much play on the fan, and the rad sprung a leak from the side plastic resevoir. :( Gonna pick up my refinished wheels tho, so that's a big plus :D

I painted the headlights, we'll see how they look dry, and I'll probably wet sand/polish them to get a smooth texture... they were a bit rippley when I left.

632 Regal
01-15-2007, 01:23 AM
I had to use a pretty wet coat for them to lay down smooth, know what you mean by ripply. Kept re-doing them til I got a decent wet coat. Did you notice a lot of small air bubbles in yours? The spray nozzle on the can I got has a lot to be desired.

they were a bit rippley when I left.

TC535i
01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Yea, the bubbles worked themselves out. I noticed that when I sprayed too lightly, it left much more texture. I started laying them heavy towards the end, and they laid down smoother.

I'll call my parents tomorrow and see what my dad thinks they look like fully dried... but I'm expecting to have to sand/polish a bit.

632 Regal
01-15-2007, 02:41 AM
I did 3 coats for a durable coating but the bubbles were consuming and I stopped. To think a large rock would have been stopped was nieve...I wonder now if I had left them that rock would have missed my newly transpires lenses...sigh. Ahh well tape is good too. Was thinking about this hot plastic glue gun... As for polishing remember this is a soft plastic type of paint, rubbery so it might not sand/buff in normal matter.

Yea, the bubbles worked themselves out. I noticed that when I sprayed too lightly, it left much more texture. I started laying them heavy towards the end, and they laid down smoother.

I'll call my parents tomorrow and see what my dad thinks they look like fully dried... but I'm expecting to have to sand/polish a bit.

mzarifkar
01-15-2007, 11:12 PM
would/could/should this work on plastic E46 headlights?

BFEINZIMER
01-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Speaking of paint, we and a few other E34 people should get together and do this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26036

Cuse I would f it up doing it alone haha

632 Regal
01-16-2007, 06:08 AM
bring it on over!

Speaking of paint, we and a few other E34 people should get together and do this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26036

Cuse I would f it up doing it alone haha

RallyD
01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
would/could/should this work on plastic E46 headlights?
for plastic i use 1500grit with soapy water
then high speed rotary polish with 3" buffer attached to my drill
with the plastic i find it better to remove material and get the dirt out of the crevices prior to polishing.
You could try a painted applique, but that would trap the dirt and not take away any yellowing.

I do this (plastic headlamp restoration) as a side gig. Its pretty good as the overhead isn't high at all and I usually charge about $50, $75w/ new bulbs installed. My customers love it (seeing at night, that is)

BFEINZIMER
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
bring it on over!

haha dont u live on the east coast jeff?

mzarifkar
01-19-2007, 12:08 AM
for plastic i use 1500grit with soapy water
then high speed rotary polish with 3" buffer attached to my drill
with the plastic i find it better to remove material and get the dirt out of the crevices prior to polishing.
You could try a painted applique, but that would trap the dirt and not take away any yellowing.

I do this (plastic headlamp restoration) as a side gig. Its pretty good as the overhead isn't high at all and I usually charge about $50, $75w/ new bulbs installed. My customers love it (seeing at night, that is)

The casings haven't yellowed, just pitted a lot. how would i go about getting the trappings out?

RallyD
01-19-2007, 09:17 AM
a detailing clay bar works pretty good at sucking filth from the small crevices.
If they aren't that bad then clay them first, then use plastic polish by hand with some effort to generate a little friction heat.
Any clay bar will work fine but i prefer the mothers bar. meguiars plasticX or mothers plastic polish work well also but you can use a regular car polish with reduced results.

jnmip
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
are your headlights crappi? I even did the 5005/5006 swap deal, still not good lighting. Mine are so sandblasted I wanted to buy new ones to replace them then the idea of just replacing the lenses came about.

After I remembered the old Winfred trick! (who is Winfred?) I used this on the foglights that came from Germany, didnt want rocks to bust them. After spraying they became clear, IE: no sandblasting.

Get a can of SEM chip guard clear, #39803 I was going to tape the things off and I realized, the car isnt worth the tape to I shot a coat on em...WOW they are clear as glass (imagine!). 30 seconds and 5 bux of clear paint and I can fix about 100 cars worth of headlights and they shouldnt chip more.

the SEM chipgard will hopefully prevent further sandblasting but who cares...I can respray and fill them chips.

Instead of staring at them cloudy lookin things every few minutes (We smoke in the garage instead of the house) and wanting to spend a ton of money or tedious work it's done.

I got a can of SEM Chip Guard and sprayed it on my cloudy, pitted RH LB and HB and the difference is unbelievable. I had already replaced my LH set and now the RH looks so good that I won't have to replace them. Its tips like this that make me love this site. Thanks Jeff.....U da Man!!!!

632 Regal
03-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I stole the idea from a post Winfred posted from the old format of this site.
I got a can of SEM Chip Guard and sprayed it on my cloudy, pitted RH LB and HB and the difference is unbelievable. I had already replaced my LH set and now the RH looks so good that I won't have to replace them. Its tips like this that make me love this site. Thanks Jeff.....U da Man!!!!

Alexlind123
03-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I stole the idea from a post Winfred posted from the old format of this site.

still, kudos. i am going to try it.

ironie
08-13-2007, 06:00 AM

I am wondering what you think of it almost a year down the road?
Does it hold up well, discolour?
Thats for sharing your tips.
This site has been a treasure trove for those that can search.
Grateful Regards (anyone like the Dead.?)
Ron

Springfield1952
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
My daughter has a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse with these huge light covers that look terrible. Since she doesn't have any money for new covers, I might give this try. Thanks for the tip.

Curt.

attack eagle
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
meguiars (or is it mothers?) metal polish works excellent. The kind without the wadding.

That and a foam pad on your buffer will have them looking like new in no time

:D

EDIT: The comment above only applies to plastic lenses not glass ones. Wanted to throw that in for the record.

ironie
08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
meguiars (or is it mothers?) metal polish works excellent. The kind without the wadding.

That and a foam pad on your buffer will have them looking like new in no time
I will definately look into that mate.
Or at least some simular product.
I have been needing a excuse to buy a buffer.
Well thunk.
Thanks

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch...
Heinlein's social theories have thier attactions...
But sadly I think Heinlein was far too optimistic about his fellow man.

94_e34_525i
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I was actually thinking of using this product a while back. http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm

632 Regal
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
try it, mine were so pitted that there would be no way of buffing them out.