PDA

View Full Version : Central Locking and other problems !

jrgibb
11-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Ok, Where to start ?

525 td 1994 UK

Info - There is a BMW alarm system, there's a small key pad thing stuck high up on the window screen about 5cm x 3cm, I was never given any code for this and it's never been used by me.

The problem - The central locking started to intermittently stop working when the car was locked from the drivers door. Not a problem I made sure all of the other 3 doors were locked and just manually locked / unlocked the drivers door.

Then some days later when I got in the car and pushed down the passenger lock from inside (after opening it for a passenger) the remaining active doors proceeded to lock / unlock themselves repeatedly about 10 times and then stop in the locked position.

I went to full up with fuel the other night and of course the filler cap was locked and I couldn't get the car to unlock (front the passenger door trying to activate the central locking from inside the car by the passenger door).

This morning I've tried to start the car and the ignition was dead (immobilised), I opened the remaining doors with the key in the passenger door and the car turned over however the battery is almost flat to it did not start AND after turning over the alarm went off (hence the comment at the start of this thread) !!!

So I now have a car where the immobilizer may be activated, the alarm is going off (this may just be the lack of power in the battery is triggering the alarm which thinks the battery has been disconnected??) Confused central locking and a flat battery.

Checked so far, the leads in the drivers door seem connected
All fuses ok

The battery is being charged at the moment so would welcome any comments re the central locking / alarm etc.

Many thanks,

J

BillionPa
11-09-2006, 07:22 AM
i would think the low battery is the root cause of the problem.

if its old and not holding charge, get a new one.

as for the locking, read http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm

jrgibb
11-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Great stuff !!! These cars a full of surprises . . . every days an adventure ! :)

Paul in NZ
12-19-2006, 04:29 AM
the wiring at the boot hinge can cause problems with short circuits.Dont forget that the boot lock is aso part of the central locking system so a short circuit in the wiring by the left boot hinge can cause all sorts of problems.The drivers door lock actuator maybe tired,not opening fully so sending a relock signal to the GM(or is it RM),hence the lock unlock ..There was along thread recently about an alarm/battery problem...