PDA

View Full Version : Question about K&N filter

Boone.Msi
11-08-2006, 12:36 PM
i always hear about how the actual K&N CAI gives you a drop in power but what about just the filter?

is K&N's actual filter any better than a stock one?

is it prelubed with that MAF fouling lube or is it dry?

wouldnt you get that "swoosh" sound if you just bought the cone filter and an adaptor bracket for your stock airbox?

just wondering since an aftermarket parts shop is going out of business over by me and they have about 6 different sizes of thes cone filters for the same price a stock filter is.

dacoyote
11-08-2006, 12:57 PM
K&N = Waste of Money...

Qube
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Lost of bottom end because it's not a CAI without full heatshield. I have a few K&N 57is and I'm using it with a custom fab shield. Sounds GREAT over 3000RPM. Loss of bottom end in hot summer (of course). Once you're moving, it's good. I've also tried the pleated K&N replacement. Sounds ok. No noticable improvements.

As always, unless it's a full CAI, it's all for sound. More dirt? Well, it's a debate. Let's not get into that. You can search.

bigtisas
11-08-2006, 03:27 PM
As always, unless it's a full CAI, it's all for sound. More dirt? Well, it's a debate. Let's not get into that. You can search.

What's CAI? How come cold air makes the car runs faster? Is that because richer fuel mixture?

Thanks.

Fetch
11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
What's CAI? How come cold air makes the car runs faster? Is that because richer fuel mixture?

Thanks.

Cold air is denser, so you get more air = more powerful combustion

Am I off by a bit?

BillionPa
11-08-2006, 04:21 PM
cold air IS denser, however it also impedes fuel vaporization, so low rpm power is lost at the expense of high rpm power.

I have a K&N stock filter replacement in my basement, has about 10K miles on it, you want it?

Qube
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
There we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

Denton
11-08-2006, 06:25 PM
K&N = Waste of Money...

That's where I stand too...

Thayne
11-08-2006, 06:31 PM
K&N = Waste of Money...

Agreed.

Robert K
11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
K&N says that their filters create horsepower because their filtering medium lets more air through. As the old saying goes...there's no such thing as free lunch. If you're going to make the holes in the filter larger to let air pass more freely, then you're also going to give up filtering of small particles. I would really doubt that the minimal horsepower you MIGHT gain is really going to be felt anyway. So, why give up superior filtering (which aids longer engine life) for a few more horsepower that you probably won't even feel anyway. To me, there are far better places to spend upgrade dollars. And as far as cold air intakes, my stock filter box in my 1991 535i has a snorkel that pulls air from near the right side headlights. That's not a bad factory cold air system if you ask me. Just my $.02.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

genphreak
11-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Prelubed cones will mess up your MAF but are great for installing in ass. Dunno about a swoosh, would be more of a phlaaabggwwrrr sound as it comes out should you push on it really hard. Whilst we're on that subject I've heard of sand and grit getting in there with foam filters... this is hardly my idea of fun. Seriously though, I doubt this is anything other than poor installation but they are not my ideal filtration solution either.

The stock CAI is excellent and impossible to beat without spending more than a turbo and custom exhaust put together.

Dr. evil
11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
K&N filters are approved for most aircraft engines. The main down fall is if you use too much oil when you clean them, could damage a sensor.