PDA

View Full Version : I bought an e34 so quess I'm finally an official member :)

gale
11-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I picked up a local 89 535i for cheap with a blown torque converter seal. Perfect candiate for another 5-spd conversion. Alpenweiss, 204k miles, engine is tight, body is straight, paint is fair to good & drives nice. I was able to drive it home but it pumps ATF out of it about as fast as I could pour it in, left a trail all the way home & took about 9 quarts to go 6 miles. The trans ran smooth & quiet & shifted well when the level was up. To early to tell if a new seal is all it will need. I'm willing to invest the labor but only a token few dollars to give the automatic another chance. If it takes a dump then all I need is a manual trans, a flywheel, clutch, & driveshaft. I have everything else for another conversion that I've been accumulating on spare Saturdays down at the U-Pull-it.

I knew if I waited long enough, a candidate like this would come along. Looks like we're in for some serious wrenching over Thanksgiving. It will eventually become my son's car so when it's ready to put back on the road, hopefully he'll have a good understanding of how to fix things himself.

Cheers!

BigKriss
11-07-2006, 07:55 PM
How much is cheap?

Jehu
11-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Did you hear ? E34's aren't "exciting"......

ryan roopnarine
11-07-2006, 08:09 PM
welcome-en

now they're gonna have to compete with you for your affection:D
that must have been a massive leak out of that seal to lose that much atf. i had a full blown cooler line rupture a few weeks ago that would let me drive more than 6 miles if i overfilled it...

Dave M
11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
looks like you'll be having a happy thanksgiving

632 Regal
11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
leakers are good for un upgrade, however it might just need a seal and be ready for resale. Good oppertunity.

winfred
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
most likely the bushing behind the converter seal has walked forward and blocked the drain the last two pictures here show the seal and where it hides, it may be possible to just knock the bushing back into place, i've never tried i just replace it and do a a-clutch job and be done
http://www.bimmer.info/~rickm/trannyrepairs.htm

Digita1 Ecstasy
11-07-2006, 10:29 PM
I was able to drive it home but it pumps ATF out of it about as fast as I could pour it in, left a trail all the way home & took about 9 quarts to go 6 miles.

!

Yeah. How cheap is cheap?

Take some pictures : )

gale
11-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I figure the bushing issue is what caused the seal to fail. Hard to imagine it leaking that bad from a merely worn seal. I'll drop the pan & check for metal chunks & sludge & then pull the trans & torque converter & separate the bellhousing. I've read that replacing only the A-clutch & seals can sometimes be a bandaid fix & will only postpone its eventual death. I hate to put much money into an automatic but will prolly take a chance and do at least the A-pack & teflon seals before calling it toast. Paid $1500 for it. It needs a thorough detailing inside & out. Might be able to turn a few bucks on it if all goes well, as Jeff suggested. Then again, my son might get attached to it & would make a good daily driver for him at a price he can afford. Eventually he'd like to sell it & get a pickup for work & hunting.

winfred
11-07-2006, 11:08 PM
been doing a-clutches for about 7 years and have only had one come back and that wasn't my fault after we started looking, the guy brought me the tranny to build with the a-clutch basket exploded, so i built it with some used hard parts and about two weeks later he calls and says it crapped, tows it in and upon inspection it was idling at around 2k and that how he was driving it, every time you put it in gear it was a neutral drop (totally raunchy 528e if you were wondering) the rest of the tranny is pretty good, about the only other failure i really see is occasionally a set of planitarys are busted and i am not sure what kills those, i see that when i go to do a a-clutch and they just freewheel or grind when i get the front end off, at that point i sell them another tranny, doing a a-clutch without doing the seal upgrade would be a band aid fix imho

e39dream
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
alpine is the best color you could ask for in an e34! good find!

The Bigfella
11-08-2006, 04:07 AM
pumps ATF out of it about as fast as I could pour it in, left a trail all the way home & took about 9 quarts to go 6 miles

Thats about enough oil on the road to kill 150 motor bike riders

genphreak
11-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Thats about enough oil on the road to kill 150 motor bike ridersYou won't know yourself for the nippiness of the 5er. You'll alwasy be thinking 'I can't fit in that space' and then, lo and behold- tada!! Next thing you know you'll be weaving in traffic and blinging it sideways in the downhill drift comps Don... :) Welcome to the Club! Nick

Paul in NZ
11-09-2006, 04:32 AM
alpine is the best color you could ask for in an e34! good find!

I dont know why but white E34s just dont do it for me....:(

weiss_535is
11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I dont know why but white E34s just dont do it for me....:(

Easy!! ;)

DaveVoorhis
11-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Thats about enough oil on the road to kill 150 motor bike riders
Damn straight. In an enlightened world, anyone who takes to the road knowing his car is leaking oil would be subject to summary execution, preferably by slow and excruciatingly painful means.

winfred
11-09-2006, 08:46 AM
my car doesn't leak oil, it sweats horsepower

Damn straight. In an enlightened world, anyone who takes to the road knowing his car is leaking oil would be subject to summary execution, preferably by slow and excruciatingly painful means.

e39dream
11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
you motorcycle guys wouldn't want to ride behind me- I have an oil slick button in the e39 just for such occaisons. I also enjoy tossing a large sack full of big glass marbles out behind me from time to time- keeps people in check.