PDA

View Full Version : When I jab the accelerater quickly in neutral...

AllanS
04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
...the rpms drop a bit, then spike. Also, when I pull from a dead stop, the same thing happens, and it almost stalls for a moment before it gets going. After that, it's fine. It idles fine, starts fine, accelerates fine, etc. There's nothing else that I would be suspicious about.

I'm thinking that it might be a fuel supply issue. I just replaced the fuel filter that I got from BMA last week, but it looked a lot more like the type that was in my 95' 525i- it was a good deal shorter than the one that I replaced.

I'm going to reset the mpg on the obc and see how it reads tonight- maybe it'll be leaner than usual and come up with better gas mileage.

Any ideas?

They'd be much appreciated!

Allan

Tiger
04-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Not likely to be fuel filter... more like your idle controls needs to be serviced.

TimGinCentralNJ
04-16-2004, 12:26 PM
...this began happening to me 2 weeks ago, and at the advice of the Board, I removed and cleaned my Idle Control Valve (ICV) with WD-40, carb cleaner, etc. Worked for a while, then got bad again. Bought a new one from BMA for $129 delivered, then my old one started working again. Right now, I'm running on the old one, but the new one's in the trunk.

Hope that helps!

Tim G.
'91 535iM

...the rpms drop a bit, then spike. Also, when I pull from a dead stop, the same thing happens, and it almost stalls for a moment before it gets going. After that, it's fine. It idles fine, starts fine, accelerates fine, etc. There's nothing else that I would be suspicious about.

I'm thinking that it might be a fuel supply issue. I just replaced the fuel filter that I got from BMA last week, but it looked a lot more like the type that was in my 95' 525i- it was a good deal shorter than the one that I replaced.

I'm going to reset the mpg on the obc and see how it reads tonight- maybe it'll be leaner than usual and come up with better gas mileage.

Any ideas?

They'd be much appreciated!

Allan