PDA

View Full Version : Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres - impressions

Zeuk in Oz
11-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Those of you familiar with this forum would be aware of my one eyed use of Michelin tyres on my cars.

Horror of horrors - Michelin have discontinued the excellent Pilot HX MXM in the standard 225 / 60 / 15 96V that I had on my car here in Oz.

A month of chasing the last four tyres in the country came to nought, so I was forced out of my comfort (not to mention safety) zone.

After much deliberation I ended up having 4 Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres fitted (96W). $250 each compared with $400 for the Michelins.

The difference is dramatic, with a much harsher ride evident. Handling and roadholding are almost as good, however, so the discomfort will have to be endured.

All in all, not a bad choice, especially for the price saving, but what really surprised me is that they are almost a carbon copy of the Michelin tread pattern.

Continental ------------------------- Michelin

BigKriss
11-07-2006, 01:43 AM
What other tyres did you consider?

Zeuk in Oz
11-07-2006, 03:22 AM
What other tyres did you consider?
Just about every manufacturer who makes that size.
Yokohama, Toyo, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Falken, etc etc

Nothing inspired me so I thought the Conti's would be the safest bet - and so far so good. They do have a double A traction rating.

I would still have paid full wack for the Michelins though if I had had a chance of getting them - sensational tyres.