PDA

View Full Version : getting ready to do a valve adjustment

schnell944
11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm getting ready to adjust the valves on my 535i. I've never done this before and have a couple questions. First, on BMWe34.net, it says to tighten the oil spray bar bolts and the oil pan bolts and goes on to talk about new oil spray bolts available. Should I get these new bolts or just use the ones in there? Also, why do I need to tighten the oil pan bolts? what should the torque settings on these be? As far as a new valve cover gasket goes, am I correct in assuming that it does not need any special adheisive or sealant when I put it on? TIA!

gale
11-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Tightening the pan gasket really isn't related. Bruno prolly threw that in "just 'cause", but wouldn't hurt to give each bolt another 1/8 turn if it shows signs of leaking. I don't have a torque spec handy but it's pretty low, on the order of 7 ft-lbs.

Here's another slant on adjusting the valves:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_5.htm

No telling if yours might have the new spraybar banjo bolts in it until you take the cover off. I had nothing but trouble with mine loosening & Loctite didn't help so I cross-drilled the heads and put safety wire thru them -- problem solved! The new factory "fix" is to supply bolts with a patch of nylon Tuf-Lok on them, but that's no guarantee they'll stay tight. The new bolts will be instantly recognized by having a recessed circular groove in the tops of the bolt head, the old style is completely flat.

Shameless plug: I just happen to stock the new style banjo bolts and sell them for a token little more than what they'd cost you at the dealer & include new seal washers and pre-drill them for safety wire:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/banjo.htm

As for the gasket, yes, install it dry without any sealant. I usually get 2 uses out of it before it starts weeping oil.

BigKriss
11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Great writeup gale, I have to adjust my valves on the m30. It's been 33,000kms now. How often should they be checked?

632 Regal
11-06-2006, 07:36 PM
every 10 or when your workin on it?

Great writeup gale, I have to adjust my valves on the m30. It's been 33,000kms now. How often should they be checked?

gmannino
11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I have over 150,000 miles on my car and I noticed my oil pan bolts were slightly loose. Make sure to not over tighten those bolts, the retaining nuts look aluminum and quite fragile.