PDA

View Full Version : OT(well wrong group) Airbags

tdgard
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Thought the broader 5 group might be interested.

Driving the 3 Sat night about 50-60 mph in traffic. Hit one of those potholes that just appear and leave you with no choice. Next thing I know, there is a loud bang, the car is full of smoke, interior lights and hazards are on but the engine is off. I'm still doing 60. The drivers side airbag had gone off. Thankfully I was able to drift off the road without causing any accident. Surprising considering it took several seconds to remove the full set of boxer shorts from my brown eye & figure out what the hell happened.

No damage (excepting the effed up door). They had recalled several of the years prior to mine for just this reason. Researching this I've found it has happened to many other models also not recalled.

Ahhh--let the arguements with NA begin.:(

Denton
11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Holy ****!!!

Wow!

Good luck with it, I do know that Volvo says to replace airbags every 10 years, as expensive as that would be.

fujioko
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Dude, that’s messed up. Good luck cleaning the boxers.

Fetch
11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
That's crazy!

I have heard some manufacturers saying airbags should be either inspected/replaced every 7 years, something like that.

Anton CH.
11-06-2006, 05:16 PM
That sucks....I was watching a program on air bags and supposedly DOT requires them to be good for something like 40 years. So I guess now its time for an MTech wheel?

tdgard
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Holy ****!!!

Wow!

Good luck with it, I do know that Volvo says to replace airbags every 10 years, as expensive as that would be.

With a build date of around 02/01 and less than 50kmi I would not expect these to need anything yet.

Bitch is my warranty just ran out in August. Double bitch is that BMW did a good will repair less than a month ago. Going to see if they might do two.

tdgard
11-06-2006, 05:56 PM
That sucks....I was watching a program on air bags and supposedly DOT requires them to be good for something like 40 years. So I guess now its time for an MTech wheel?

I would think that our bags should be fine. BMW had some problems with the side bags and the sensitivity of that sensor which is mounted on the floor pan. One guy put his key in his 97 5 series, shut the door & BANG. I'm just glad mine is a convertible. Everyone with the sedan also had their bag mounted in the headliner blow out $$$.

gale
11-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Yep, time to ditch the airbag. I'll take my chances without one ...

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/mtech2.jpg

tdgard
11-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Yep, time to ditch the airbag. I'll take my chances without one ...

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/mtech2.jpg

Well I would not go that far. There is no problem with the wheel mounted bags attached to crush sensors.