PDA

View Full Version : Is window motor replacement a DIY?

chris530it
04-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, anyone have directions on replacing my drivers side front window motor? or should i take it somewhere?

thanks!

chris
94' 530it

AZ_Jason_S
04-15-2004, 03:27 PM
I haven't done it on a BMW. However, I about lost my thumb 2 weeks ago in a Suburban window regulator. You have to be careful when you take the motor off of the regulator. The regulator is spring loaded to help the window up and the motor holds it in place. You have to secure the regulator somehow before you remove the motor. Not sure what works for an e34, but on the Suburban, I used a nut and bolt. I'm not trying to discourage you, I am just trying to save you the emergency room bills I incurred. I knew this job was a little dangerous and I still got hurt, right now I dont have a thumb nail. If you do it, be careful when you remove the motor from the regulator.

sbcncsu
04-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, anyone have directions on replacing my drivers side front window motor? or should i take it somewhere?

thanks!

chris
94' 530it

Yes, it is very replaceable. Only problem is you have to drill out the rivets that BMW used to attach the regulator to the door to remove the regulator. You must remove the regulator to get to the bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. (All of this is outlined in the Bentley manual.) I did it on my old 95 525ia driver's door. It was an afternoon job, not too bad.

On the old forum, there were pictures provided by one of the regulars, Gordon I think. It showed the procedure pretty explicitly.

Also, the regulator in the BMW is not spring loaded and the windows aren't so big that you lose control over them when you disconnect the regulator from the window.

AZ_Jason_S
04-15-2004, 04:18 PM
It was when I ground the rivets out of the burban regulator that the motor released and BAM! @#$%%^! MY THUMB!

Yes, it is very replaceable. Only problem is you have to drill out the rivets that BMW used to attach the regulator to the door to remove the regulator. You must remove the regulator to get to the bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. (All of this is outlined in the Bentley manual.) I did it on my old 95 525ia driver's door. It was an afternoon job, not too bad.

On the old forum, there were pictures provided by one of the regulars, Gordon I think. It showed the procedure pretty explicitly.

Also, the regulator in the BMW is not spring loaded and the windows aren't so big that you lose control over them when you disconnect the regulator from the window.

Bill R.
04-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Sorry Scott, it does have a regulator spring, you can see it clearly in this pic...the last one I did I just used some vicegrips to lock the regulator mechanism in place and then i removed the rivets holding the motor assy in place..
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/window3.jpg

thanks!

chris
94' 530it

AZ_Jason_S
04-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Thats way easier than the Suburban I did. On the burban the motor was on the inside of the door. That doesn't look bad at all, just lock those scissors with something! I just can't stress enough after my screw up. It wasn't the first time I had my hands in a regulator either. I was at autozone 20 mins prior talking to the parts guy about how you gotta be careful when you have your hands in a regulator. Then like bad karma, I smashed my thumb. Split the nail down the center and broke the very tip of it. I felt pretty stupid...

sbcncsu
04-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Sorry Scott, it does have a regulator spring, you can see it clearly in this pic...the last one I did I just used some vicegrips to lock the regulator mechanism in place and then i removed the rivets holding the motor assy in place..
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/window3.jpg

That one does, my 95 had no spring, just the gear and scissor mechanism:

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/sbcncsu/IMG_0110_1.jpg