PDA

View Full Version : Lower Control Arm Question

92E34
11-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I was under my car this weekend replacing a broken tie rod end. I pulled loose a control arm from the cross member to see if the ball joint was good. They're decent, no excessive play. But the bushing had some cracks in it.
My question is, Can the bushings be replaced, like on the thrust arm?

The other thing is, I have a set of Hamburg Technic lowers that I got from FCP. What part fails on them, the ball joint or the bushing?

632 Regal
11-05-2006, 11:25 PM
I was under my car this weekend replacing a broken tie rod end. I pulled loose a control arm from the cross member to see if the ball joint was good. They're decent, no excessive play. But the bushing had some cracks in it.
My question is, Can the bushings be replaced, like on the thrust arm?
YES

The other thing is, I have a set of Hamburg Technic lowers that I got from FCP. What part fails on them, the ball joint or the bushing?
BOTH< THE BUSHING OR SAY 5 SETS OF BUSHINGS WONT LAST AS LONG AS THE BALLJOINT, AND THAT DONT LAST MUCH LONGER THAN 20K

bsell
11-06-2006, 04:01 AM
BOTH< THE BUSHING OR SAY 5 SETS OF BUSHINGS WONT LAST AS LONG AS THE BALLJOINT, AND THAT DONT LAST MUCH LONGER THAN 20K

Are you saying the ball joints are only good for 20K miles?! And I have to replace the lower control arm bushings more frequently?!

OMG, what have they done?

Brian

Kalevera
11-06-2006, 04:04 AM
The problem is the ball joint. Like Jeff, I ran through a set in a few months. The ball joints, specifically the coverings, are junk.

mikell
11-06-2006, 09:43 AM
The problem is the ball joint. Like Jeff, I ran through a set in a few months. The ball joints, specifically the coverings, are junk.

You mean the Hamburg Technic ball joints, right? I can't tell you exactly how many miles I have on my Lemforders (with 750 bushings), but more like over 50,000 miles and I'm still smiling.

It's always more economical to use quality parts. Too bad there are inferior ones out there, and the only way you'll know which is which is by keeping up with Bimmer.info

92E34
11-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Well I guess I have to get rid of the Technics.

But now I've got another problem.

One of my struts just started to leak all the fluid out. While the other has leaked all the fluid out.

Though I'd love to put a set of Bilsteins on it, I dont have the funds in the account. Does anybody have any experience with KYB gas shocks?

bsell
11-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Well I guess I have to get rid of the Technics.

But now I've got another problem.

One of my struts just started to leak all the fluid out. While the other has leaked all the fluid out.

Though I'd love to put a set of Bilsteins on it, I dont have the funds in the account. Does anybody have any experience with KYB gas shocks?

KYB is a well-known brand name. As long as you go with something above their entry-level, and the shocks are valved for your application, life should be good.

Brian

632 Regal
11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Sachs turbo gas are good in my oppinion, less than 100 each.

92E34
11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Well I called the local bmw salvage yard. I'm in luck. They've got a whole strut with wheel bearing and hub for $75. I'm just going to swap it. I'm gonna inspect the heck out of the strut insert and the hub.

632 Regal
11-09-2006, 09:56 AM
why?

Well I called the local bmw salvage yard. I'm in luck. They've got a whole strut with wheel bearing and hub for $75. I'm just going to swap it. I'm gonna inspect the heck out of the strut insert and the hub.

fkong777
11-09-2006, 10:04 AM

WHY? +1.. at $75 you are about $40 shy of getting 2 KYB's.. Salvage yard inserts most likely will not be usable. People usually buy savage yard strut if they bend the strut housing.

632 Regal
11-09-2006, 10:19 AM
exactly, paying 75 for a worn out strut insert dont make sence.
WHY? +1.. at $75 you are about $40 shy of getting 2 KYB's.. Salvage yard inserts most likely will not be usable. People usually buy savage yard strut if they bend the strut housing.

92E34
11-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I need the shock today though. Tire rack can't get me the insert until the 17th.

632 Regal
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
BMA could get it there by tomorrow

92E34
11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
BMA could get it there by tomorrow

Dear 632 Regal,

Man do I owe you big time. I called them up and they said that they'll have them at my door tomorrow at 10AM.

I ordered a set of (drum roll please) of bilsteins.

Thanks man.

632 Regal
11-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Bilsteins eh?

92E34
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Bilsteins eh?

Yea Bilsteins, Can't wait for the car to be able to corner again. I had a set on a 733i I had and they were a blast to have.

92E34
11-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Its a good thing I did the shocks today.

Both were shot. I mean SHOT. The one that I thought was still good was leaking oil as soon as i took it out of the housing. The other had no oil in it. That and the strut bumpers turned to powder as soon as I took them off. So I replaced them with the KYB bumpers and boot. Total time: 2 hours per side.