PDA

View Full Version : Another Coolant Leak Thread

zman-95-540i
11-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I have been having a really small coolant leak lately. I didn't drive the car yesterday and just went out to top up the coolant (less than a pint to get it up to max level). After I topped it up I started poking around with a flashlight to try and find out where the leak is. When I got under the car there was coolant on the ground and some pooled up under the radiator (the plastic cover on the bottom of the car).

It seems strange that it would leak without even starting the car. I don't have much time to screw with this today but is it likely to be the hose from the reservoir to the radiator? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm hoping it's really an obvious place that someone can point me to.

632 Regal
11-05-2006, 06:28 PM
check where the big hose goes into the top of the radiator, these are known to break at the neck. poke around that area to zero in on the leak.

92E34
11-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I just fixed a coolant leak that was caused by the hose that was between throttle body and the cylinder head. The fitting in the cylinder head became loose and would only leak when the engine was off.

zman-95-540i
11-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at both these when I get a chance. Thankfully it's a small leak but I want to catch sooner rather than later.

Russell
11-06-2006, 09:12 AM
could be expansion tank leak.

zman-95-540i
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
It was the expansion tank. The old one had some cracks on the bottom that were slowly leaking coolant. No way to see it until I got it off.